1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time/Date turned into symbols! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RushMaster, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RushMaster

RushMaster Thread Starter

Hey guys, basically the date on my computer has turned into weird symbols and I don't know how to fix it. The time is actually okay, i think it's just the date or something. I tried looking in the regional/language settings and what not but i couldn't figure it out. Maybe you can.

Here's a pic of the problem. Notice the date on the right side of the pic.

[​IMG]

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

I'm pretty sure that the "symbols" you're seeing are actually Arabic; recheck the Regional and Language Options settings in the Control Panel. Check all three tabs (Regional Options, Languages, and Advanced) to make sure nothing is set to display Arabic. Pay CLOSE attention to the "Long date:" option in the "Regional Options" tab, as that seems most likely to be the culprit, especially if an Arabic language pack has been installed...

Let us know what you find...

3. RushMaster

The long date drop box is just full of symbols. There is nothing to choose from.

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Is this the SYMBOLS font your talking about or garbage? It's very hard to tell what your talking about without a picture :) Due to security settings i cannot view 3rd party images. :(

5. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

6. RushMaster

I'll post some more pics of my regional and language options menus so you can get an idea what they look like.

7. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Thanks for that, ok its not SYMBOLS, its some font for sure.

8. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

I don't agree that this is being caused by some FONT; if that were the case, EVERYTHING would look like the symbols in that screenshot...

9. RushMaster

Well what could it be, virus?

10. RushMaster

11. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

12. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

I'm going to do some experiments on one of my other systems; I'll let you know if I can figure this out. Since I usually run only Linux on that system, I've removed the HDD and installed a new one; WinXP is loading now...

Once it is ready, I'll make some changes to it, to see if I can figure out a way to UNDO the problems RushMaster is having...

Stay tuned folks...

13. RushMaster

Thanks a ton man, I really appreciate your help and I hope you can come up with a solution.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

A quick look at the registry will tell you if there has been a locale change and what other settings are not standard. This would include the icalendar you see.

Please download the attached zip file and extract it's contents to a convenient location.

Once extracted, double click on int.bat

This is going to show us two registry keys and their contents.

A new file named int.txt will be created.

Please attach int.txt to your next reply. We'll have a look and hopefully make some changes based on what is showing there.

Also, when you added those screenshots to your post, they caused a huge scroll making this thread difficult to read. Can you edit and remove them please?

Attached Files:

• int.zip
      File size:
      204 bytes
      Views:
  15. RushMaster

I edited the one post, I can't edit my first one. Sorry.

If you downloaded the attachment I just uploaded a minute ago, please disregard and download this one here. I uploaded it from my working computer by mistake, which obviously won't show any problems. So download the following attachment:

Attached Files:

• int.txt
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!