1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time for a change? (good reason for this to be in sfw dev)

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by coderitr, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

I've been with my company for 5 weeks short of 11 years and nearly turned in my access card and walked out the door today. I'm the senior analyst with a mid-size American retailer (400+ stores.) I've designed, developed and supported in-store systems and the polling system for the last nine years. Today, an initiative was begun to download through the polling systems a report that has been printed at the office and mailed to the stores for years. My boss decided that we're going to create PDF individually for each store and insert them into the polling system. Everything else we do, we get a cumulative file and a program that I wrote and I maintain separates it by store. The store file is loaded into the store database and reports are generated from that database. This system has been working well for years but I was told "we're not going to do that." End of discussion. What's even more maddening is that my junior colleague who knows absolutely nothing about the system and has never as long as he's been with the company made the slightest attempt to learn was involved in this discussion while I was called only after the decision was made. I may as well have been a junior programmer.

Here's the problem. I feel it may be time to move on but I'm using C, C++, VB6, SQL, ADO. The company has never embraced either .NET or java though we're close to a management decision on a new POS system based in .NET. I feel that I need to become employable outside the walls of this company again. What do I need to focus on? ASP? C#? .NET in general? Where can I find resources to help me learn these technologies? I'd like to stay in the retail sector as that's what I'm familiar with (the general business rules, UI design, etc.)

Feel free to tell me I'm overreacting if you think I am.

2. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice