1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

time for a new computer?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ERASERHEAD, Feb 13, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. ERASERHEAD

ERASERHEAD Thread Starter

i play games alot, and recently, noticed, the system dosent seem good enough, even for games i have had for some time, they dont run up to par. thinking of new games, i want to be able to play them when they come out, i realized, you computer isnt good enough when you start looking at the boxes of games to see if your computer is good enough to play them, ok, heres my specs, tell me what i need to upgrade it for latest upcomming games:

Dell Dimension 8250:

-Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz 2400MHz
    -511MB
    -Radeon AIW 9600 XT
    -XP os
    -Creative SB Live sound

lemme know if more info is needed

2. McTimson

McTimson

That should play any game just fine....

For games that will be coming out, maybe give it another 512MB RAM, and maybe upgrade the video card, but that system should be able to handle anything out there now.

3. Big-K

Big-K

Yeah that should be fine. Is this just a sudden problem?

Oh and, I'm thinking you mean 512, not 511

4. ERASERHEAD

well, it tells me, 511 kinda like how my hard drive says its 80 gig and its really 75 gigs, and my other one is advertised at 120 but its really 117 hehe. well, yeah i have been experiencing slow SLOW load times in bf1942, like they were when i had 256 ram and my geforce 4 mx420 card, its insane, these slow loads, i havent played that game much, would its files get compressed over time because i defrag alot and didnt play a long time?

5. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

Before you drop a bunch of money to buy a better pc, try reinstalling windows. I notice that with installing and uninstalling programs for a while windows gets slugish. A clean install of XP makes it feel all fresh and clean.

6. McTimson

McTimson

Did you always have the slow load times with 512MB RAM and the 9600? Make sure you clean up all your background programs and stuff first, it could also be a page file thing...my friend had horribly slow load times because his page file settings were messed up.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah maybe another 512 of ram and the video card. The 9600XT is borderline with new games but it should still play everything at medium settings. Don't buy top of the line right now on video cards. The bottom is getting ready to drop out of the X800 series. The prices are already down $300 from what they were in May of 04.

I'd wait till late spring and have a look around.I am expecting to see sub $300 X800 series card by then. You can get an X800 Pro vivo now for around $350. If you know what you are looking for, you would be a flash away from X800XT. ;)

8. ERASERHEAD

ok sounds good! but one thing, i never reinstalled windows, and to do that, and i gunna have to reformat? or something? i never even thought of this, i dont really wanna do that because i have over 40GB of my movie on the computer and tons of other stuff. how does it work?

talking about page file: mine is:227MB used 1018MB available

9. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

Most consider reinstalling windows a last resort when everything else fails to fix the problem. Some freaks out there like me, find it easier to reformat twice a year, then to try and fix every problem.

When a reinstall is done you should format the drive it will go on. Which means EVERYTHING will need to be backed up. To make this easier I've partitioned my drive, one section for my data files and the other for windows and program files. Then only the partition with windows has to be formatted and all my data files stay where they are.

Also note that as your hard drive fills up the computer will slow down. Windows functions best when the partition it's on is only half filled. Not sure why, but that's the experience I've had. Have you made sure to defrag the drive and see if it helps?

10. ERASERHEAD

i defrag maybe twice a month. and the most commonly used programs run much better at that time. my C drive, is filled up to 16% left, on a 120GB hard drive, games, movies, files, pics, music...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice