1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time for new hard drive and more memory.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mudpie, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mudpie

mudpie Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with a 60 gig hard drive and 1 gig of memory. I run AutoCad and do drawings for my cabinet shop and the hard drive is almost full. If I bought a new 320 gig hard drive what's the best way to transfer the data? The only discs I have are the ones Dell sent with the original CPU. I have read in other posts that there is some times a problem reloading the operating system if you don't have the original retail installation disc.I have Carbonite service but I don't know if that will help or not.
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've been building cabinets for 30 years but I'm only 7 years old in computer.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Some hard disk manufacturers have programs you can download from their web sites to clone your old drive to your new one; but, I don't use those because I started in computers before those existed and I've always used commercially available programs.

I use Acronis True Image. There are two methods you could use with Acronis and the same applies for most drive imaging programs. You could make a complete drive backup (image) to CDs or DVDs and then remove the old drive, install the new and then run a restore.

The other method is to simply image the old drive directly to the new. In that case, you would have both drives connected at once. If you use this method, do not restart the system after the cloning with both drives connected, Disconnect the old drive first.

These are the basics. We can get into the details after you make a decision on the method.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the CRUCIAL site and the MEMORYX site, the Dell Dimension 4600 desktop supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of DDR PC2700 or DDR PC3200 RAM, so you're good to go for adding more. (y)

I've never used AutoCAD, but I've heard it's memory-hungry.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. mudpie

mudpie Thread Starter

Thanks for the info gentlemen!
    I took a look at the Acronis web site and the Migrate Easy 7.0 for $39 looks like a winner.
    Also I was indeed wondering how much memory I could add so thanks for that as well.
    Alex can you fill me in on the details now?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    With Windows XP, you can use up to 3072 MB(3 GB) of RAM.

Unless you're using the 64-bit version, more than 3 GB is useless.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've never used Migrate Easy and I'm not familiar with how it works. With that said, I can only give you general rules. In the absence of instructions in Migrate Easy to do otherwise, do not reboot the computer after the migration without first disconnecting the old drive.

Also, if there is an option to wipe the old drive clean, I would recommend you not do that until you are absolutely sure the new drive is fully functional.

Frankly, I would go the extra bucks for Acronis True Image as it would be useful later in making data backups and drive images that would be useful in disaster recovery.

7. saikee

saikee

If money is an issue try the first link in my signature. The more up to date of the link is here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice