1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time Machine Disk Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by stever88, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stever88

stever88 Thread Starter

Hi!
    This is a Time Machine problem.
    I am running High Sierra v 10.13.6
    The Backup Disk is an external 2TB HDD partitioned into two MAC OS Extended (Journaled) 1 TB Partitions:
    Partition 1: MBP Backup
    Partition 2: Other BkUp
    I entered Time Machine Preferences / Select backup Disk /
    and selected MBP Backup
    and then accidentally pressed "Remove Disk."

I open a Finder Window and select the External HDD but the Partition MBP Backup does not show only the Other BkUp partition shows. It does not show in Time Machine Preferences or Browse Other Time Machine Disks.

I need to restore it but can't find it.

Please help me.

Thank you.
    Stever88

2. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Have you tried a restore from a Time Machine backup done before you erased the partition?

3. stever88

stever88 Thread Starter

Hi Brooklynboy!

Well (he said with a red face) ... the Time Machine Backup Disk I removed was the only backup disk I had :(

4. stever88

stever88 Thread Starter

Its still on the External HDD but it is not accessible through Finder or Time Machine. Disk Utility does not show it, it only says there is a Partition that cannot be removed.

5. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

May I assume you booted into recovery mode and then tried Disk Utility? It says the partition cannot be removed, does say it cannot be written to???

6. stever88

stever88 Thread Starter

No, I am afraid I am not that knowledgeable about Macs and their operating / recovery procedures. I use primarily for e-mail and as a Host for a Parallels Win 10 Pro VM which is where I "use a computer." Why - because I am an Excel user for work and Excel for MAC does NOT have the same keyboard commands as it does in PC and I did not find out about this little peculiarity until after I got my first MBP.

But, I decided I liked it because every time I had Windows problems I could use my MBP to Google the solution! Two computers in one! :)

7. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Turn off your MAC. With the power off, press and hold the Command + R keys at the same time. Power your MAC on and keep holding down the Command+R keys until you see the Apple logo. Release the keys. At the opening screen, choose English as your language. No at the top left, click on Disk Utilities.

Before I forget..MAKE SURE YOUR EXTERNAL HD IS PLUGGED IN BEFORE YOUR BOOT INTO RECOVERY. <==Sorry bout the all caps, just wanted to emphasize the point.

With some luck, it should show all partitions including the deleted ones. Hopefully it will show the deleted partition with a option to undelete.

The last alternative is to dl a data recovery program. The reputable ones will allow you to dl a "Free Trial Period program that will recover most of the info.

MAC come with a hidden recovery partition that the software sets up for major issues. It will allow you to recover the OS system but not necessarily all your files. Apple, of course, recommends Time Machine for backups. It works really well if you have the disk space.

A alternative backup method is to keep copies of your files on iCloud or Dropbox or any reputable cloud service.

:)

8. stever88

stever88 Thread Starter

Hi Brooklynboy!

Thank you for your response. I will try this tomorrow, I came down with a bad cold today and will tackle this when I am not full of NyQuil.

I will post back my results.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice