1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time-out issue with internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lennholm, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lennholm

Lennholm Thread Starter

Hi, I have a very annoying problem with my internet connection and I can't figure this one out. When I'm browsing the web there seems to be some kind of time out limit at about 1 second, that is, if the server my browser is trying to connect to doesn't respond in about 1 second it says the "page could not be found" (or something similar depending on browser). If I try repeated times it eventually work, for some reason almost always on the third attempt.
    This happens both when I'm using Internet Explorer, Opera and Firefox so it doesn't appear to be a browser related issue, rather something in the settings for the internet connection itself, but I haven't found anything. I have gotten all updates from Windows Update and checked the settings for Windows Firewall but not found anything there either and turning the Win Firewall off has no effect.
    I have written about this problem on various tech forums but my posts have always been completely ignored. Hope someone here can help me, thanks!

2. Thalaric

Thalaric

What type of connection do you have?

3. Lennholm

Lennholm Thread Starter

Thanks! I believe it's a LAN-connection (I believe that's the term, I only know enough about these things to tell you what it isn't, and it's not ADSL or anything like that requiring extra peripherals). I plug my ethernet cable inte the wall and get a public IP from my ISP.
    The IP is dynamic and DNS-server address is set to be retrieved automatically, as dictated by the guidelines from my ISP. Someone told me that maybe I could try a different DNS-server but I don't see how I could do that.

4. Thalaric

Thalaric

Have you been in contact with your ISP at all? I seem leary of the way you get internet. Do you live in an apartment or shared community? To plug your ethernet cable into to the wall seems a little odd...

5. Lennholm

Lennholm Thread Starter

My ISP is very unresponsive, I can't talk with them directly, the only way is to place a service notice at their support web page. I did that in december and I don't think they have even looked at it yet (it's status message have been the same since I placed it).
    I live in a shared student community, every room is equipped with an ethernet outlet, but we don't share the internet-connection with each other. Every room attendant has their own subscription (if any) with its own public IP and the connection speed and services of their choice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice