1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time Server?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redmonkie, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

I have a machine running Oracle VMware. With 5 Virtual machines on it.
    They all seem to be running on the wrong time. When I reset them all manually to the right time they eventually become out of sync.
    What's the easiest and most efficient way to solve this?

2. Rockn

Rockn

I have no idea what you are talking about. The run time has nothing to do with computer or any other clock.

3. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

Sorry. Typo.

4. Rockn

Rockn

What OS are the VM's?

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You need a time server. And to punctuate the point even further, you REALLY need a time server. All databases need to have there clocks sync'd as well as any logging you do. Out of sync databases will cause all sorts of havoc if they are interdependent. Active Directory is one that requires close syncing of time. Other replication software are also very time sensitive or replication process won't kick off which will leave you in a serious world of hurt if there is a data/disaster recovery situation.

There are a number of ways you can get the server clocks synchronized appropriately. One is to run your own time server. Windows AD/DCs can act as a time server. Certain network hardware can act as time servers. You can also buy time servers which either run in stand alone mode with a highly accurate low drift clock or one that also maintains time via satellite.

On my home network I have all my clocks sync'd to a time resource on the internet. This may or may not be appropriate for you as you are relying on continual network connectivity and the availability of this internet time server. This is why many organizations run their own clock server. The key is to ensure any clock server you run can be configured as one a server and two has a high stratum number which should be 2 or 1. The lower the number the higher the authoritative level.

6. Rockn

Rockn

A lot of routers can also synch with a time server, but I am not sure the functionality is there to then use that as a local time server. I also sync my home server with an publicly available time server on the net.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That's correct. A few Cisco network devices can act as time servers all the way up to stratum 1. Just depends on the model. I don't recall but I think few or none of the Juniper network devices can act as time servers. But I'm not entirely sure as I'm just now getting up to speed with Juniper products.

8. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay
    I'm just playing around with virtual servers, server environment, different server roles and the connectivity between them. Thought the best way to learn it is by just doing it.
    All servers are windows 2003. I do have a domain controller and all servers are on the domain. To this point I thought they would all sync there time to the domain controller. Is there a way for AD to carry this administration out. i,e; AD pulls its time source from an internet based time server which then syncs all my local servers?

9. Rockn

Rockn

By default any computer on a Windows domain should sync time with the domain controller. You can force it in the default domain policy in the group policy management console. If the other servers are part of the domain and AD is working properly they should sync automatically.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice