1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time sheets in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sjtrupp, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjtrupp

sjtrupp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steven
    My boss wants me to create a time sheet collector in Access. The templates that Microsoft offer are concerned about charging to a specific department rather than collecting time-in/time out and such. (I would want to ask for the time and collect the actual time it was reported, as I know I'll get asked about it at some point.)

Has anyone already created something like this?

I ran the numbers, and with 250 employees clocking in and out twice a day (before and then after lunch) for a year would be 130,000 records. I don't know at what point it would be better to go to a bigger platform.

I figure it will need a log in, probably something like Scott Gem’s https://scottgem.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/creating-login-security-using-access-vba/
    This would help keep people somewhat honest. Right now we fill out a an excel spreadsheet and then print it out, sign it, then hand it to our supervisors.

The user table would need to include a specific department that the user is assigned to.

A Supervisor table that would assign a manager to approve the timesheets for each department. (Only their department)

A time table, recording the in and out times.

It would also need to track time-off for paid vacations and such. (Following rules such as vacation time must be used in 4 hour increments, sick leave must be used in 30 minute increments, etc.)

Due to job locations in remote areas, it would also need an admin assist position that could enter multiple people’s information. (Similar to department, they would only be able to enter certain people).

I’m just thinking about this project now. It will be a while before I can commit time to it. But after a log in screen, it would need a form to enter the times, which would need to know if there was already a record with a time-in, but not a time-out for that specific person.

2. OBP

OBP It's My Birthday!

I have created databases that contain elements of what you want to do, most of which may still be on the Forum Archives, or I may still have a copy somewhere.
    What version of Access are you working with?
    Access 2000-2003 was the very best version as it had built in Security for user and departmental control.
    I also have an Access 2007 login & password control set of forms & tables.

3. sjtrupp

sjtrupp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steven
    We're moving over to Access 2013, getting away from User Level Security.

4. OBP

OBP It's My Birthday!

In that case you will have to generate all the control you will need by forms and VBA code, or the new macros which I am not familiar with.

5. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    I'm not that good with Access but you can always export Excel data to Access or either import Excel data into Access

6. sjtrupp

sjtrupp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steven
    The importing excel won't work, as the current standard has everyone filling out their time sheets in excel and then printing them out to sign and get their manager's approval with a signature.

I'm starting the project now. I hope to have it up and running for testing within by department by Oct 1, with full implementation by 1 Jan. Lots of moving parts.

7. draceplace

draceplace

Keeping time in a large organization needs to be a 3 part process. Your database will struggle if you try and make it part of 1& 2. Especially if analog signatures are required.
    'time keepers' need to be responsible for tracking 1 & 2 and recording those transactions. I would try to keep the general work force out of the database.

As for the clocking in and out I would use a simple barcode reader and import those transactions to the database. You can have multiple barcode readers and I would pass the verification of the working time recorded to the supervisor level. There will be people who's barcode transactions will be in error (no scan/double scan, etc). The barcode can be a sticker that goes onto their employee ID or a simple little keychain card.

1. Requesting and taking time off - employee level
    2. Approving and recording time off - divisional administrative duty
    3. Apply time transactions to individual leave balances and work quotas. - Should be your job.

8. aliyun.com

aliyun.com

Hello, I would like to have a cooperation with you about a job, if you are interested in this, please send me an email: [email protected]. Thank you!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice