Time-Shift Limbo

Omega_Shadow

I sit here at 3:00AM. It is dark out and everyone is asleep in the house. My body feels oddly fatigued, my mind slowly numbing. I want to sleep but I cant - I know if I sleep tonight won't be able to sleep during the day that will make me very tired when I go to work at 10:30 PM.

Since I went back to work on the Nightshift I have been feeling the familiar effects of what me and my co-workers call Time-Shift Limbo. Time-Shift Limbo is the time it takes for one's body to adjust to a major change in sleeping habits. It usually lasts for one week after the change. One of my co-workers say it is much like Jet-Lag, but never being on a plane I could not tell you from my own experience.

I was wondering if anyone else here at TSG has suffered from the effects of Time-Shift Limbo. I am also curious to see just how many O-Niters we got here. ;)

I worked 11p to 7am for a year and I never adjusted to it! It was a nightmare for me and I am a night person (but not an allnight person). I was nauseated from being tired. If it takes only a week for you to adjust, you are fortunate. Hang in there. Good night, I'm signing off for the night. :)

Omega_Shadow

There is someone in the crew thats like that, always tired no matter how much sleep he gets. I think its becouse this is his first O-Nite job. The rest of us are vets. I myself have never had a daytime job.

I know that when I came home from work and sat down with my kids over their breakfast, they would eat cereal whilst I would eat last nights dinner(microwaved).

I still fancy evening meals when I awake, and thats 20 years later. ;)

Omega_Shadow

Me too barfly. I like having dinner right after I wake up. Never much liked breakfast I guess.

I used to work evenings when I was in the military. Hated Swings (4 p.m. - Midnight), but loved Mids (Midnight - 7 a.m.). Loved being able to run errands like to the bank when no one was there. Sleep during the day, wake up for the afternoon / evenings, take a short nap if I needed to be fore work.

Now I work 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Drives me crazy trying to get personal stuff accomplished and my night life keeps interfering with work. Or is that work keeps interfering with my night life???

Omega_Shadow

Its your work interfering with your night life. You should just quit and devote all your energy to your night life :p

Omega_Shadow

Your a nurse...AT NIGHT?!! You must have to deal with all kinds of nutjobs.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
I'm on disability right now awaiting a Greenfield Filter placed in my heart and two knee replacements!

I worked as a nurse's aide for 7 years on the midnight shift and loved the hours! :) Then I switched to other jobs that were day jobs before I went to nursing school. I even managed a Speedway Gas Station for two years...day shift of course! Worked as a night manager at 7-11...the only scary thing about that was when a group of rowdy guys would come in right before the 2 a.m. last call for beer....I was all alone there at night...my store only got robbed once...fortunately it was between shifts....I was in the cooler stocking beer and pop when a man came in and put a sawed off shotgun to the head of the afternoon clerk...I stayed in the cooler! :eek: Quit the next day! My first few nursing jobs were midnight shifts...then I went into a long term care facility and worked days...that was my last nursing job before the disability. I truly am a night owl though! Have been all my life! I just can't sleep normal hours! :D

sle

I'm a night shifter all the way. Midnight to 8 is the best. (y) Get up when it's late, no traffic on the way to work, grocery shopping at 24 hr places. Less crowds equals a whole lot less stress for me, personally.

I work 8 am to 5 pm now, and my family's all excited that I've got a day job. I really hate it, tho. :( Rush hour coming and going, not to mention getting food at lunchtime. I'm so much crabbier now.

I really think it is a hardwiring thing. I've always been a complete sluggard when I have to get up to the bright sun, and I get this second wind at 10-11 pm that makes it even worse that I have to go to bed at that time.

Omega_Shadow

sle said:
I really think it is a hardwiring thing. I've always been a complete sluggard when I have to get up to the bright sun, and I get this second wind at 10-11 pm that makes it even worse that I have to go to bed at that time.
I think thats a part of all us O-Niters. I am most alert/Awake at 10-11.

Angelize said:
my store only got robbed once...fortunately it was between shifts....I was in the cooler stocking beer and pop when a man came in and put a sawed off shotgun to the head of the afternoon clerk...I stayed in the cooler! Quit the next day!
I am glad that was the only time you had to deal with being robbed. Those 7-11's have more crooks walk though them then a county jail :eek:

I myself will not work 24hour retail places anymore. Had too many bad experences at Mejier. I had to deal with everything from the drunks that came in after the bars closed and rode around on the kids bikes to the college trouble makers that trashed the departments and then those irritating costomers that pick though your pallet while your still working it....god that was irritating.... To put it simply I am so glad I dont have to deal with costomers anymore.

I worked many different 11P-7A or Midnight-8A jobs. I loved it! It was just me and her and she was/is unemployed most of the time. I actually got more sleep daily than I do now.

I would get off at 8A and treat it like 5P. If I had to do anything with a government office or doctors, I'd just schedule an early morning appointment. There was more than once I'm picking up a 12 pack at 8A as others were buying their coffee. :) I also knew a few bars that opened early. :D

Another good point is Xmas timeframe. (y) Go shopping at the malls in the morning. :D No one was around.

I was generally behind all the rush hours.

I'd stay up till 1-2 in the afternoon then sleep till 10P or so. Time shift TV with the VCR.

It takes time to shift. I've done the jet lag bit too. Best thing is try to stay on the same schedule on the weekends.

Jim P.

I feel for ya, Omega. I have never worked nights, but I live with one who has. When hubby was in the Air Force, he was on graveyard at least 6 of the 12 years we were in OK. He reported to work at 11pm and came home about 8am. Then on the weekends he would try to change it all around so he could do some things with the family on Friday and Saturday. Since then I have heard that staying up all night and sleeping during daylight completely goes against our natural biorhythms and can cause depression if it continues too long. At the same time, count your blessings you have a good job to go to. You are probably quite productive at work!

Omega - for about 6 months or so, while I worked as a crew leader at a lead smelter, we worked on swing shifts: five days on day, two off; three on nights, two off; three on days, two off; five on nights, two off; or some such schedule. At the time, woman and our critter lived at our prior house couple hours away, while I lived in an apartment nearby. Took awhile to aclimate to that swing, will admit that. Fortunately, I'm a nightowl by nature [only few things can get me going early - cave trip, hunting, some other outdoor excursion, etc. ;)]. Was a bear trying to sleep during the day - felt like had to get and go while the sun was up! :eek: But, with many many sheets, towels, etc. over the windows, and a white noise maker, that helped. Good thing was that during the night shift, we could actually get work done! No management [uhem... ;)] looking over our shoulders, no meetings, no conf calls, no regular bs. Since I was also the metallurgist for the plant, I also had those duties to fill my platter during the day shift. ick. Was an experience for sure. Since then, been a couple times when overseeing a project or two at a supplier and/or customer that have had to babysit it overnight, and then crawl back into the hotel in the morning to sleep all day. Missing the fam is the roughest part while doing such. Yea, eating dinner while they are eating b'fast... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts