1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time to move to X99 and DDR4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LondonTom, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LondonTom

LondonTom Thread Starter

Hi people,

About 8 years ago I built the current Core2Duo based PC I am using and it has lasted pretty amazingly considering, with only minor upgrades to RAM and GPU.

I am looking to do a new build with future proofing in mind. My question is not so much whether to move to a DDR4 compatible MB (X99 looking at you), but whether or not to do it now or wait a few months for the tech to settle down.

My PC is by no means falling apart, but I am loathe to spend any more money on it really. At max I could probably wait 6 months but ideally I'd only hold out until after Christmas.

What are peoples thoughts on the current range of X99 / DDR4 compatible MBs? I have been out of the loop for a while with these things...

Thanks in advance,

Tom

2. replay

replay

NEW TECH = expensive
    like you said wait a while 'till the prices stabilize
    we are all guilty of wanting the brand new computer tech....do we need it?? usually....no :)

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

I hate to say this because I currently have an Intel 4670k system. I would advise going for an AMD FX-6300-8350 with a good AMD motherboard for now with 8GB DDR3. Don't get caught up in the eternal intel mobo/chipset cycle loop --- i'm getting out of it myself I plan to get away from Intel for now even though the IPC is better. Get a good SSD, one good traditional 7200RPM HD (which you may already have), and a good GPU if you are a gamer. I plan to get an FX 8350 with water, and a GTX 780 and camp out and wait out the initial DDR4 storm. Currently I have a 4670k and a GTX 660.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would wait a few months. When new mb, are introduced, there are usually numerous bios/uefi updates to address either problems that have manifested themselves or to add new features. These fixes are incorporated into new mb designs. In short I would wait a few months for fixes to be introduced.

In addition, the price of ddr4 ram should decrease as more ddr4 becomes available. Right now ddr4 is quite a bit more expensive than ddr3; that will change in a few months. I expect the price of ddr4 to become close to current ddr3 prices in a few months with a corresponding rise in ddr3 as demand declines.

5. LondonTom

LondonTom Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice from all.

I hadn't really thought about an AMD processor, I've always gone Intel. I might have a look at comparing the two in a bit more depth. The only trouble is I'm mostly concerned with future proofing and the DDR4 issue is a big one for me.

Do people think the market and the tech might have settled down by after Christmas?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think after Christmas, would be fine. You just do not want to jump right into new tech. Anyone remember rambus ram???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice