1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time to replace my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KeyesZX, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeyesZX

KeyesZX Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm having what I believe to be an issue with my hard drive. A few days ago, I started playing some games on my computer again. Everything was running smoothly until my computer locked up and I was forced to do a hard restart. As the computer freezes, the sound last played keeps repeating over and over, whether is be music or someone talking over Ventrilo. At one point while restarting, I recieved the message "No Hard Disk detected". After shutting down and coming back a minute later, it was fine.

The OS that I was using at the time was Windows XP. Updating my sound and video card drivers did not solve my problem. SMART tests show that the drive appears to be fine. I figured it could be that Windows XP was corrupted. I did a repair installation, which again had no effect. I decided to completely format the drive and try Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I performed a clean install, updated my drivers and tried gaming once again. The issue still persists; however, less frequently.

Note: I disabled Superfetch because it was causing a lot of hard disk activity.

I am also having trouble running the Vista Experience Index. The initial test when installing worked; however, now it always fails to complete. A section of the log which failed is below.

I have tried swapping SATA connection sockets, which caused Windows to reinstall the drivers. That had no effect. I have not tried another cable as of yet. It really seems to only happen while gaming. Sorry for being all over the place, hahah.

System Specs (Custom Build 2 years old?)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Q6600 (40C idle) (Core Voltage: 1.275 V)
    Memory: Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800 2x2GB
    Motherboard: P5NE-SLI (44C)
    Video Card: eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Hard Disk: Seagate 7200.11 320GB 7200RPM SATA2 (41C)
    Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silence 610 (610 Watt)

2. raybro

raybro

Perhaps one of these free hard drive utilities will tell you something. HDTune and HDTach. Can't hurt.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice