1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time To Replace. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skullknight10, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skullknight10

skullknight10 Thread Starter

I have had absolutely no issues with my current CPU and video card in the 3yrs or so that I have had them. Sadly they are just getting outdated, things are slowing down and there is better hardware out there. Anyway I have a couple questions before I decide to upgrade one or both pieces since I am on a budget. Here is what I currently have but I only want to replace the CPU/Graphics Card.....

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    AMD Phenom ii x4 965 3.4Ghz Black Edition (OC 3.8Ghz)
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard (AM3+)
    Windows 7 Premium 64-bit

I'm a gamer and Ive recently wanted to start recording while I play and stream. I'm usually around 80-90 FPS but when I record/stream I drop to 35 or so and start to lag. Not lockup lag but noticeable lag. My internet is fantastic so that isn't the issue. So is this due to my video card, CPU or both being old?

These are the two I'm thinking of getting, if both need to be replaced. Would they provide significant results over my current setup?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113327

2. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

it would help to know 1. what program you are using and 2. where you are recording to.

in my experience, i found Dxtory to be the best and it would record to a second drive so i could utilize full write speed.
    in most cases the capture software is reliant on cpu but Fraps might be the only one i know to be gpu intensive too

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Some things to consider:

What is the exact make and model of your current PSU? This could be a significant factor in what you should put in the machine (GPU) or budget (it may need to be replaced).

I don't think you will see much performance gain with that GPU. For NVidia cards the second two numbers are the key ones when it comes to performance. Going from a 5 series 550Ti to a 7 series 750Ti are very similar GPUs. If you are looking for performance gain you really want to be looking at x60 (760, 860, 960 etc). This will give you a significant boost, but will also have a fairly reasonable jump up in power needs, so the PSU becomes a bigger issue.

For a rough idea go to www.hwcompare.com and compare different GPUs. Note: the site compares the manufacturer listed capabilities it doesn't actually test them in real systems, but it is useful to get an idea of how the cards perform compared to each other.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so my input here is limited.

Since you've had that computer for 3 years, you may be focusing in the wrong area to address the "slowing down" issue.

We don't know what's installed in your computer and how you use it besides gaming, so there could be a number of reasons why it's slowing down, such as:

Too many running processes

An infestation of malware, spyware, etc.

Overheating from a dirty interior

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice