Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Time to upgrade.. input on these..graphics card / RAM upgrade choices??

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  acameron 
#1 ·
Hi everyone....

Current PC specs listed above ..... to get it out of the way I am a gamer......

This upgrade is to allow me to play some of the newer games such as The Witcher and also to enable me to utilize DX10 when I eventually upgrade to Vista.

RAM.....this is what I have found...I do not overclock and I am very happy with the matched pair of Corasir XMS 512MB 5400C4 running at 533 that I currently have so I figured the safe bet is in just jumping to a matched pair of 1MB sticks of the same.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145015

Graphics card.....

I do have a budget and from the reviews I have read this card should carry me through the gaming world for at least the next year (hopefully 2) I like eVGA and I have nothing but good things to say about the eVGA 6800GS that I am currently using.

But if anyone has some input as to problems with the card listed below or if you know of another card that will perform just as well (or better) for around the same price I would like to hear about it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317

Thanks in advance for any help.......

See less See more
#2 ·
Most newer games are demanding at least 2 gigs of RAM now. But not all. Yet for a cheap upgrade, this is way to go.

As for your card, yes...I would suggest getting that too for better gameplay with the newer ones.

Otherwise, from your computer specs.....you should not have any problems playing the new games.

#4 ·
Hi skivvy :) How are you? You still running the same ATI's in crossfire mode?
EDIT: Never mind I just checked your sig....how do they stand up to the new games coming out??

The card I have linked is the 8800GTS 640 SSC edition........ and I would be doing both the RAM and this card at the same time....

Eveything I have read about this card says it is a good choice but it can't hurt to ask around about any issues people have had.....especially since it is the Super Super Clocked edition (SSC) :D I remember XFX having some problems with their overclocked 6000 series cards and was wondering if anyone had heard of any issues with this SSC from eVGA??????????

I will have to compare the 8800 GT with the 8800 GTS 640 SSC again.... is there not as much of a performance gain as I am expecting with the 8800GTS SSC?

#5 ·
Dont buy the 8800GTS 640 or 320. Complete waste of money at this time. The 8800GTS G92 512MB is WAY better than those and also beats the 8800GTX. Instead of G80 it has G92 which is the best right now. If you cant get the 8800GTS 512MB Get the 8800GT 512MB, both have G92.

#7 ·
I didn't even see that Nvidia had a newer chip on the market...guess I didn't look around enough...... This is what you are talking about????

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130312

Definatley better specs, without being an "overclocked" edition.....it is $20.00 more....I'll have to take a better look around at the review sites and see what they say....

#8 ·
I'd grab the 8800GT instead. It is cheaper and is better than the 8800 GTS 320. With the money you save, you can up the ram at the same time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318
Is that a G92 chip as well? it doesn't say anything about it but it does have better specs than the SSC........... and it's $70.00 cheaper....well it looks like it's off to Toms hardware to look at some comparisons......

Thanks for the suggestions......:up:

I'll post back after some reading........

#10 ·
OK, I can't find a site to do a direct comparison of these 2 cards anywhere so I'll just ask here :)

EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

670 Mhz Core Clock
128 Stream Processors
1940 Mhz Memory clock
$309.00 (assuming I do everything correctly and on time to get the rebates)

OR

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

600 Mhz Core Clock
112 Stream Processors
1800 Mhz Memory clock
$239.00

Are the 14 more stream processors in the GTS worth the $70.00 extra?? The higher core and memory clocks the GTS has are not enough to really affect overall performance ... so it comes down to Stream Processors ... also the GT has a single slot cooling system....either will fit in my case but it will leave more room in there.......

and I am really glad that I asked here 1st before buying anything because I didn't even realize that the G92 chip existed :eek: :eek:

#12 ·
Thanks for that......

Being the miser I am I think the GT is the way to go :up:

unless .... There isn't another new nvidia chip coming out in the next month or so is there????

#14 ·
#15 ·
Well this is what I am going with................

Graphics Card

RAM

Shiny new game to run with my new card!!!:D:D:D

All of which had free 3 day shipping from Newegg.....it will all be here tomorrow ....:up::D:up:

Thanks for the help :up:
Excellent choice. My old rig is still taking what I throw at it for now. The time is coming for me to unload the old x1800's and move on. I will most likely wait one more generation and then build a machine.

I wish I could build a rig once a year.......what a dream huh? :D

#16 ·
Excellent choice. My old rig is still taking what I throw at it for now. The time is coming for me to unload the old x1800's and move on. I will most likely wait one more generation and then build a machine.

I wish I could build a rig once a year.......what a dream huh? :D
Yeah........that would be nice....

I fear this will be the last time I can upgrade this PC (for games anyway).... I will have to upgrade the processor next and this MB can't handle anything newer than a pentium 4 :(........

#18 ·
OK, everything was delivered yesterday and I installed the RAM and the video card....Yippie
!!!

I did not have asa much luck with the game however ....... :(

During the instal process I get the same error at the exact same point every time....Normal or "Safe" Mode

Installing: Program Files\The Witcher\Data\Movies\Intro.bik

Feature Transfer Error
Feature: Data
Component: Data
File: D:\Data5.cab
Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

I Click OK and the install terminates.......

I downloaded CD Check and scanned the disk and it comes back with 1 error .... Data5.cab .... cyclic redundancy check

Is this a sure sign of a deffective disk or is there something else I have missed or can try??

Any help is appreciated.... I just upgraded my PC just to play this game:mad:

#21 ·
I got a RMA # from newegg.....Now I just have to send it out and wait a week or so for my new copy :( :down:

all this wonderfull new hardware and no new hardware challenging game to throw at it......

I guess I'll just have to see what this card can do with Oblivion while I wait :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.