1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mstone_56, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

Hi! is there anyway in any program 9 preferably word ) but in excel or in anything, that I can make a key on my keyboard register the time and date when i push the that particular key, would be good if it could be done for the right or left side of the mouse or one of the F keys., this is to work like a counter, but i need the time and date, or at least the time, hope you understand my wording, thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Where do you want the time/date to appear?

3. wen

wen

in word, go to tools, customize,insert,date,click on keyboard,click on insert, scroll down to insert date,assign sortcut key and then assign.

well it worked in word 2000.

try it

wen

4. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

I want it to appear on either a word doc or in excel werever I can get it to appear.
    I just have to record the times, anything up to 500 times in an hour,

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    As long as Wen's suggestion works, and it sounds like it should, then use Word along with Wen's method.

Let us know if it doesn't work for you.

6. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

Yes that works, but not the way i need the time/date to work, is there anyway to have what you suggested, but without the little box comming up that you have to either click ok or hit enter,
    the short cut key works good, thanks for telling me how to do that, but can i do it without the other??? or do you know any other way to do this, any other program?? all I need is a counter/log of timing, in minutes and seconds.that can be repeated up to about 60 or more times a minute, by just hitting a shortcut key, you will realize that to do this acurate I wouldn't have time to hit enter or click okay everytime
    thanking you

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'm not sure you followed wen's direction then.

I just opened Word 2000 (what version are you using?), and I:

Hit Tools-Customize
    Click on Toolbar tab
    Under Category, choose Insert
    Under Command, choose Date
    Drag the 8/7 icon up onto your toolbar
    Drag the Time icon up onto your toolbar
    Close the Customzie dialog box

Whenever you hit the 8/7 button, the date is inserted
    Whenever you hit the Time button, the time is inserted

If you need more accuracy (to the seconds), then you better record a macro that takes the following steps:

Hit Insert-Date and Time
    Choose the one that has the date with the seconds
    Hit Ok
    Stop record

If you want a Word document that does this, or if you want instructions on how to record a macro, email me at [email protected]

8. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

sorry I am only using 95B

but what wren told me worked except I kept getting this little window up to tick OK to insert the time and date will try your idea, many thanks

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    95B? We're not talking about your operating system. Open Word, and hit Help-About. Are you saying you have Word 7 for Windows 95?

10. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

Thank you works just like I wanted it to, thank you
    office 97 ( word yes ) thanks for your help,

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Cool, Maurice!

12. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

Hi! The following works as in putting the time into a word document, but my problem now is when I reopen the word document the time changes to the time I open the document, ( example I was recording times hour/minute/seconds, on certain day at pm, and wanted these times for future refference , but opened this document and all the times changed to the time I opened it at 10.18am the next day and then adjusted the following times in the intervals I had recorded the previous night ), how can I save these times so they do not change, please!!!

I am using windows 95B.
    thanking you for your time.

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    When you recorded the macro to insert date and time, did you remove the "update automatically" checkbox?

14. mstone_56

mstone_56 Thread Starter

Sorry to annoy you again, where is this checkbox I have been into word-tools-customize, and word --tools --options, cannot find it??
    thanks for your time

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It's not under there, m.

Why don't you email me and request a document I wrote that explains how to record a macro? Then, I'll even customize it to tell you exactly how to record a macro that will insert the date and time RIGHT NOW and it won't be updateable--meaning, when you open it later, the dates will be what they were when you inserted them, and not NOW.

I'm at work, so I don't have the time to write all those instructions.

And...you're not annoying anybody at all. We're here to help! Until things work the way you want them to, then we haven't helped much, have we?

:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice