Timer Failure Troubleshooting

Katla

Hey.
A few weeks ago I started up my desktop and got 4 beeps. Nothing else. No power evident. Just the 4 beeps that would sound, pause, then go again, etc.

Discovered it was most likely a timer failure. Made sense - I'd been lower on RAM than I'd have liked, figured one of the sticks failed. Swapped around the two sticks I had in different combos on all 4 slots. Nothing. Bought a new stick, tried it alone on every slot. Nada. Replaced the battery in the motherboard. Nope. Even took out the video card. Uh-uh.

So now I'm stumped. I don't want to buy a new motherboard only to realize that it wasn't the problem. But what else could it be? The power supply? Processor?

Is there anything more I can do to isolate what might be the cause of this? It's frustrating not to know.

crjdriver

First of all, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs. If this is by chance a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
Since beep codes vary by mfg and bios, we have no idea what 4 beeps mean [since you have not posted specs]

Katla

First of all, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs. If this is by chance a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
Since beep codes vary by mfg and bios, we have no idea what 4 beeps mean [since you have not posted specs]
I can't find any identifying info on the mobo itself.
It's a rebuilt HP using an Intel chipset and DDR RAM.
That's about the best I can do by sight. I'm not seeing any identifier on the motherboard, by number or name. But I could be overlooking the former since that's not a thing I'm familiar with.

crjdriver

Well the beep code you posted is for a corrupted bios. You can read through the bios recovery procedures for your system however in my experience these only work about half of the time. If you are not able to recover the bios, then you would have to ship it to a hp repair facility. Depending on the age of the system, it may not be worth putting any money into fixing [since this would not be a cheap fix at hp]

Katla

Yeah. I'm not shipping anything to the manufacturer unless it was new and under warranty. Easier and cheaper to buy a new motherboard.

But I'm curious about how it doesn't even attempt to power up. Even with a somehow corrupted BIOS, wouldn't it still at least attempt to turn on? As it is, there's nothing except the beeps. If it weren't for those, I'd have immediately assumed it was my PSU having died.

crjdriver

You can certainly swap in a known good pw supply and test. All I can go on is the beep code you posted.
Easier and cheaper to buy a new motherboard.
Do understand that if you purchase a new motherboard and it is NOT the hp designated replacement board, you must also purchase a new copy of windows. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware ie motherboard.

In addition, a regular motherboard ie asus, gigabyte, asrock, etc is very often not going to work with a hp case. PCI slots will not line up, front case leads will not just plug in, case standoffs often are not in the correct place. Big box stuff ie dell, hp, etc is proprietary that is it is mfg to HPs specs and NOT industry standard specs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online