1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Timestamp won't remain turned Off

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by grissom, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

I have installed SSD FRESH (quite a while since) to assist in the better running and lifespan of my SSD Drive in Windows 10 Pro.

All is well according to the app, except that whenever I check, Timestamp, - which stores the time that files are accessed- is turned on. This is despite me turning it off successfully with the app every time that I check it.

Any suggestions and help gratefully received please.

Many thanks in advance.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Where and how are you trying to turn this timestamp off?

3. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

The SSD Fresh app suggests what to turn on/off to save 'writes' etc. to the ssd and prolong the life of the disk. The app itseld has a 'button' to turn each process on/off. It explains what each function does and whether or not to turn each one on or off.

I've attached a picture. Thank you. SSD Fresh.png

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, modern SSD's will most likely outlive the computer they are on. Use windows built in utils to control it. Or use a manufacturers util, to manage it (crucial for eg make storage executive, for their SSD's, and include none of the above in their util).
    The main concern is for you to keep the firmware updated.

Timestamp, by design will reactivate (physically, change the registry key) every time you insert an external drive into your computer. Most of the mod's mentioned are for performance, 10+ years ago when they were first written (mostly for Vista) hardware performance was needing optimization, not today, if you have a modern win 10 machine, they will make no difference.

Leave tweaking alone, unless you really know what you are doing, enjoy your computer, you will want a new one in 4+ years anyway.

Lanctus likes this.
  5. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thank you for that useful up-to-date information, it's very informative. I had no idea.
    Will follow your knowledgeable advice. Many thanks

6. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thank you for that knowledgeable advice. I had no idea how out of date the app and its functions are.
    I will follow you advice and forget it. Many thanks for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice