1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tiny Firewall

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tyrnauer, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tyrnauer

tyrnauer Thread Starter

I'm new to DSL and firewalls. After installing the above, I received the following message repeatedly: Someone on APPL? 65.185.178.22 wants to send an ICPM packet to your machine, Details:TCPIP Kernal Ddriver. What's ICPM? Should I permit it?

I had a lot of interrupts from known sources, so I permitted these, with something like known parameters. Is this the way it works. Is there a better (free) firewall?

Thanks very much.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm a Zonealarm user (older version) and not familiar with Tiny's configuration options. But Tiny has a very good reputation and may well be preferable to the current and apparently more troublesome versions of ZA.

An ICMP (I think that's what you mean) packet is what is known as a "ping". Like a Radar "ping" it is meant to locate an object (your computer) and reflect back a timed packet which tells the souce how long it takes to reach you with data (and whether you are there). ISPs and other providers do this routinely in mapping their environment and maintaining their systems.

But there is really no reason why you should accept it, even though it is harmless.

As a general rule, "just say no" and make your configuration options to that effect the default.

You will be bombarded with pings and other kinds of probes. Learning what they all mean is really quite overwhelming. Best just to set things up properly and forget about it. Do check now and then to see that nothing INSIDE you pc is attempting to access the internet that is not related to a program you choose to run.

http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html

3. hewee

hewee

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Tiny Pesonal Firewall uses less resources and has a very good reputation..........

The less resource usage is probably not a factor here. The only problem with TPF is the set up and configuration of it, It's not user friendly. :(

I'd suggest Z/A try it first and you should not have any problems.

Whatever you do........ do it now like today because you are ON 24/7 so you are a target just waiting to be had without a firewall.

DS

5. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

Hello.

I am glad to see that other members have been providing their assistance. I haven't use TPF in a while (I tried it out when I thougth I would get DSL), but I still suggest it. However, ZA is good and free. So if system resource is not a issue, then try it.

Anybody know where I can get port information on games? I tried using TPY with HL and I couldn't figure out what port and protocol to use it with....

Here is a link I had barried in my archives. It may prove useful:

http://www.iana.org/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!