Tips For Out-Maneuvering the Shifty - DIY Security System

TechSloppy

Hoping this is the right place, and I’m going to try to condense this...
Basically, we had some wifi cams that kept going out (not recording) for long stretches of time. I’d see someone fumbling with something small in their hand and then no more recording (couldn’t find it on the SD card backup either). Or, as with the 360 camera, they’re somehow able to make it spin around in the completely opposite direction the second they go by (I’m not crazy...they hid behind a tree, slowly walked from behind it twice, then ran from behind it and the thing spun around- all with them watching the cam the entire time).

Probably of note, I moved a couple randomly a couple times to opposite locations because it was like they knew the exact point where the blind spots were / how to subvert the camera recording, almost as if they could view the feed themselves. I mean, they were cheap wifi cameras, so they could probably be hacked fairly easily.

I figured this was wifi jamming, so we bought wired cams that record locally and can be accessed remotely.

A couple problems from here....they’re quite obviously mounted, and I’m pretty sure one of the last wifi ones ended up messing up (would no longer let you move the visuals up, only down), because someone messed with it- especially because there were blind spots.
Also, I think something else is being used to blind it as well, knocking all four out (black screen) in a row for five/ten minutes at a time. I’ve seen a green light, like a laser, on screen right before some of the blackouts, but am not sure how this would cause such an issue....*if* lasers can make this happen, then maybe because they’re all on the same channel?

Bottom line:
I need ideas on how to cover the blind spots, preferably a bit more covertly than the sun-beaming in the night darkness IR wired cams we have now. Wireless anything would be much easier since we need it to cover areas on the opposite side of the yard from the house, but also not be stolen or knocked off wifi easily.

Also, the local recording device is hooked up via Ethernet that runs to the main Ethernet hookup, which is connected to our router. I want to view remotely, but I need to make sure it’s locked down on the security spectrum. Any ideas on how to better secure this/my router would be greatly appreciated!
(Side note: if there’s anything I can do to allow continuous local recording but get alerts for motion detection, that would be best. With the night owl x app, it seems like you can only start on the hour viewing if it’s set to continuous, and can’t fast forward through anything.)

I’m just afraid I’m overlooking something so simple to access that it’ll leave the feed wide open for anyone to view.
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online