1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tips to reduce the Microsoft Outlook folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Signode, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Signode

Signode Thread Starter

I am working with Microsoft Outlook. My mails are > 1.5GB. I want to create a back up but first reduce the size of folders without losing any data. Is there any tip?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Everything is stored in Outlook.pst and compessing it is not an option. When it gets to 2Gb it starts to cause problems. If you switch now to Mozilla Thunderbird you can go as high as 4Gb to my certain knowledge and probably much higher without problems.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Switching to Mozilla will not solve the problem with Outlook. Archive the emails that are older to another PST file and this will shrink your main Outlook PST file. You will still be able to access the old emails in the archive folders.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It solves it inasmuch as it can handle larger files than just 2Gb - quite apart from being a better e-handler and one which can import from a .pst file. If Outlook gets to the stage where it can't even open because of an overly large PST, Thunderbird is a good way of overcoming the problem.

5. Rockn

Rockn

No, that does not solve the problem. What happens when your Mozilla client reaches 4GB move everything to another email client? This is the kind of tech support that drives me crazy....hey if something goes wrong in Windows just buy another computer....problem solved.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I agree with Rockn, this does NOT solve the Outlook issues.

The OP did not state what version he/she is using. If it is 2003 or later, the PST file will go beyond the 2G limit of the earlier versions.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336

7. Rockn

Rockn

And archiving is always a good option to keep your mailbox cleaned out anyway.

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's the kind that pays the bills around here. When a customer comes crying Outlook has failed and he can't even get in to attempt archiving, what do you do? Whatever proud boasts MS might make about 20Gb .pst files, the fact is they continue to crash the programme regularly. Thunderbird is product developed to run in Windowsas well, I believe, and by the way, I go to extreme lengths to prevent my customers from having to buy new when the old can still be fixed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice