1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tips, Tricks or just plain magic!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by peegee84, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peegee84

peegee84 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Im getting "X 's" everywhere instead of thumbnails.

Running XP Home with protection from Zone Alarm, SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Cleanup, Pop-up Stopper and RegEdit.
    Virus protection by PC-cillin (with AVG as backup)

Recently started to get the dreaded red X insteadof thumbnails and sometimes graphics especialy in web pages. For example, this page has 7 red X's. (Both help boxes, Donate, tags and smilies)

Have reloaded Flash and overwritten IE 6.0 Both seem to work OK.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem.

Many thanks

2. mrwendal

mrwendal

have you emptied temp internet folder recently?

3. peegee84

peegee84 Thread Starter

Temp internet folder is emptied regularly, also now using CleanUp to clear all temp files history etc. This has not solved problem.

Box to the left of mrwendal is X 'd out. also Post a reply. This is driving me crazy!!!

4. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

have u emptied prefetch folder?

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Check the internet options, under tools. Scroll down to multimedia and make sure "show pictures" is checked. Scan for spyware.

6. peegee84

peegee84 Thread Starter

Prefetch folder emptied. Show pics is checked.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Still getting X'd out though

7. Espart

Espart

I used to get the same thing, try this Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.

Now press "Custom Level."

In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to 'prompt', and 'Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to 'disable'.

I think it has something to do with ur security setup and thirdparty etc. It solved my problem.

I realised it also happens when u have so many start processess runing, that slows down ur connection and pic. dont show up properly.

By the way me newbie here, nice forum keep it up guys
    Cheers,

8. hewee

hewee

9. BEENTHERE

BEENTHERE

if that don't work uninstall your web browser and reinstall, sometimes you may have corrupted some program files in explorer.

10. GRudger

GRudger

maybe its zone alarm or your spyware programs thinking some pics are ads something, that happens with me with norton firewall when ad bloking is on sometimes.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice