1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tired of slow and crash

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hbmom89, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hbmom89

hbmom89 Thread Starter

I have Vista Home Basic and it has gotten soooo slow and frequently wont load web pages. I am sure it is probably registry problems but I have run several cleaners in the past with little luck. Currently I am running CCleaner with little improvement. I see advertisements for products like PCMatic but just cant bring myself to pay that much when its hard to trust it. Is there any software out there that is reliable, trustworthy, and actually works to keep my machine running like it is supposed to? I dont even mind paying for it if I can find something that works!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... There is no need to clean the registry and this type of software will do a lot more harm than good. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what they think are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate items still in use will be deleted in the process, causing irreparable damage to some programs and the operating system.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install!

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

Registry Cleaners according to Bleeping Computers

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Do I Need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following so we have some information on your computer:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Phantom010.

If you've been using these cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs on a regular basis, you may have damaged the Windows operating system to a point where its reinstall is necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

4. hbmom89

hbmom89 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2036 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294955 MB, Free - 200727 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 5649 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0CU409
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Are you having trouble opening some pages, especially secure sites (https), Outlook.com (Hotmail), etc. ?

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Vostro 200 or Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

Both models support up to 4 GB of RAM, so you should max it out instead of running it with only 2 GB.

Windows Vista 32-bit will use 3.25 - 3.5 GB of 4 GB of RAM, but it's still better than 2 GB.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice