1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tiscali or internet won't work w/ Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by loonybox, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

Hi everyone
    I just bought a new Dell w/ Vista HOme Premium but i can't connect on the internet. I'm with Tiscali and re-installed the installation CD but it just won't work. I called Tiscali and they said their products are not available with Vista, yet. I called Microsoft and Dell but no-one can do anything. I called a pc store and they said that no ISP was up to date with vista yet. Apparently Tiscali' modem & installation CD are not compatible with Vista.
    But no-one seems to be able to help. And everyone i talk to seems to be in India.
    Any help?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the internet dialup, DSL, or cable? The only ISP's that might have trouble with Vista are those that use their own software to create the connection rather then Windows built in connections.

3. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

it's DSL using a Thomson SpeedTouch 330 modem. I just went on Thomson's website and they confirm that there will be a driver to use with vista for this particular modem in March!! I find it difficult to understant that the drivers for modems are not already available for Vista.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An alternative would be to use an Ethernet based DSL modem with the PPPoE client built into Windows or with a router. Then you would have to rely on USB drivers or the ISP's software for the connection. The vast majority of ISP's offer Ethernet based modems, call yours and ask for different modem.

5. jblink

jblink

My Dad has Vista on a new laptop. At the same time set up a Netgear ADSL router and it works first time and fine with Tiscali.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, thats the way it should be done, not thru a USB DSL modem.

7. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

Netgear ADSL router? Is it what cost between £45-£100? When i did a google search it seemed to offer quite a wide range of models. Are there differences? And what do i do with it? Plug it in USB? Does it replace the external modem given by Tiscali?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

10. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

Cheaper than that? On the link given it says £66.98!! I think its expensive when it can be free with Tiscali. Unless i get a couple of months for free with them.
    What difference the router would make compare to the modem given by Tiscali? Is it faster?

11. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

Thats much better prices thanks, but then i'm lost. Prices go from £14 to £42. What am i supposed to get? Are there any differences? Completely lost guys. Is it worth waiting for the driver Tiscali is about to launch?

12. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would go for http://www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=815 unless you are likely to need Wireless in the future, in which case, http://www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=812
    They both have good built in firewalls and allow 4 wired network connections - so they allow more machines to connect to the same ADSL line.
    Network connection is a lot more efficient than USB, and requires no modem driver software.
    I use this range of products for all my customers.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Firewall protection, multiple wired, multiple wireless connections, one time configuration(no software or drivers), more efficient, designed specifically for networking unlike USB are the main benefits of a wireless DSL router.

I just posted that one as an example, and it has wireless capability if in the future you want to go wireless - as in if you got a laptop.

PS. You've paid for the 'free' DSL modem, its a buried cost in the monthly fee.

14. loonybox

loonybox Thread Starter

Understood. Thanks.
    Now to put this into practice: i buy the router - i guess the cheapest should be enough because i don't need wireless and only have 1 computer - and then do i need to change my ISP (Tiscali) or package, or should it work just fine? Does router make connection and internet faster.

I should know-it-all after that!! :)

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll need a router with a built-in DSL modem or you'll need to purchase a router AND a DSL modem. Your current modem is USB and cannot be used with any router.

Once you get the modem/router you'll need to configure it with your Tiscali username and password - the modem will come with instructions and a CD to easily configure it for you.

It won't make it faster, unless you computer has flakey USB ports or the tiscali driver/software was poor.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!