1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tmp file deletion?????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by old-dog, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. old-dog

old-dog Thread Starter

Hi All

I am an old dog, computers are futuristic so to some I may seem dumb but please bear with me....
    I have a laptop, and a file named 1.tmp has appeared (how or why I do not know) in my c/windows/system32 folder that throws up an error message window saying it cannot find the program to run the tmp file, and that appears on my screen every time I log on.

So; I thought I could simply go into the sys32 folder and delete the 1.tmp file by putting it in the trash can, as it obviously does not belong there....BUT it will not let me, if I try I get an error message telling me I do not have access or the disc is full even when I use the administrator level......so now I am completely at a loss and I do not understand.
    I appreciate the sys32 is a windows folder but surely if some programme put the tmp folder in there then surely I should be able to delete it........

Can anybody show me a step by step way of deleteing it or do I have to forever get this error window every time I log on????

2. kniht

kniht

I know what you mean. I ran computers in the USAF during the Nam war. Had to be housed in it's own building. Used IBM punch cards to input info. Got too hot, too cold, too much or too little humidity, or if one passed gas in the same area as the computer was in it would crash! I get a little baffled with this new technology at times.

Anyway, as far as deleting said tmp file, download "Unlocker" (it's a free program)

here:http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Install Unlocker, right click on the folder/file in question, then select Unlocker in the menu that opens. It's possible that this particular file is "locked" by another program or process not allowing you to delete it. Unlocker will show you what program is laying claim to the file. If a program is laying claim, select the "unlock" button and delete. If no program is laying claim, there is an option in Unlocker to delete the file anyway.

Hope this works.

By the way, have you run any spyware or virus scans lately.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Hello old-dog,

If it's appearing every time you start up the computer, you may also want to go to Start => Run and type in msconfig

Under the Startup tab, look for an entry that's pointing to this file. To see the full path you may have to pull the small bars between Startup Item, Command and Location. If there is sch an entry, uncheck it, and restart if you have to.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    In the MSCONFIG "Startup'" tab, see if there is an entry with the name:

Antivirus Startup Scheduler

and with a file path that ends with:

1.tmp

If there is, read here:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=1.tmp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I am another "old f-rt". I well remember IBM "80 column cards" from when, in 1964, I began administering the transfer of a college registrar's system to one that was computer assisted. The computer was an IBM 1620, which was designed primarily for technical applications. My programmers were two junior year students! The input was cards as well as the output. Printing of various "documents" was by an IBM "tabulator" using the output cards- thousands in and out! "The good old days!"

Sorry to intrude, but thought some youngsters would find some history of interest.

{redoak}

6. gurutech

gurutech

Anyone else remember vacuum tubes??? And you thought passing gas in a punch-card environment was bad.....

7. kniht

kniht

Living history is the best and most accurate history. Maybe we should start brigade of "Dinosaur Computer Historians". Of course you at 77 and me at 55, you'd probably consider me just a snot nose kid!

8. kniht

kniht

You need to join our brigade. We'll make you "Grand Poopa".

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Vacuum tubes in computers I did not encounter. However, I remember them well in radios and TVs of the 1940s.
    {redoak}

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice