1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"To Build, Or to Buy?"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddie95, Jun 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. eddie95

eddie95 Thread Starter

My dilemma is I want a good solid better then average pc(preferably a laptop. I've looked at different website, compared different models and that for me, to find a pc that has everything I want/need, I would be looking at nearly $2k!!! or over!!!

Dell - XPS 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i9 - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 1TB SSD - Silver

the model above has the ideal specs for me. I ask is it better to build because a couple years back, when money was tighter. I saved and bought a laptop that was considered good at the time, years later it stoped working, I want something I can upgrade constantly, processor, ram and ssd. I know nothing about building your own pc so I ask for guidance in this thread.

Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

An i9 processor is for die hard enthusiasts with extreme performance demands. An i7 processor is considered top of the line for consumers. Choose an i7 if you don't want to pay top most price. If you can envision a graph of price to performance, the i9 price rises very sharply to gain the top most performance, but not by much, over the i7. And the performance lead will only last for 1 or 2 years. So, if you are a Jurassic Park class movie producer with a need for top most computational special effects performance, you go for the i9. (with a budget to match, of course) (And you also need a much much better graphics card)

There arm't much applications that use touch screens. You might want it if you are a graphics professional. Circling something on a form is the only thing a ordinary office worker will ever use the capability for. I find it kind of rude if you are not a manager.

You need to tell us what you intend to use the PC for. Gaming or office or anywhere in between .

We are a tech support site. As such, we don't accept a statement that says a PC has died without doing troubleshooting. What is malfunctioning with your PC ? Perhaps it can be resurrected with minimal cost in parts.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    eddie95 likes this.
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You usually can't upgrade a laptop much and an off the shelf Desktop PC can be difficult to upgrade too so your logical choice would be to build a Desktop PC.

As lunarlander mentioned if you tell us what you want to use the computer for we can advise you better.

eddie95 likes this.
  4. eddie95

eddie95 Thread Starter

my previous pc was a HP 635(Approx. 8 years old), fans run at full RPM and gets HOT almost instantly and also extremely laggy with further use. As far as troubleshooting it, I opened it up, clean the fan and wiped the drive, loaded windows 7 pro and later windows 10 pro as the ops and no changes. Office Depo tech said after running a diagnostic that it could just be my processor bad but everything checks out fine. never used that pc for anything other then school work.

Now as to my future pc build, I use AutoCad for work and will need it for some personal projects I have in mind and will probably be downloading similar software to Autocad like solid works and/or Kreo. Also, I will be using Adobe photoshop/movie maker. That would be the primary use for this build.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How much are you willing to spend ?

6. eddie95

eddie95 Thread Starter

Honestly I would say about 1500 I feel would be a appropriate budget. Maybe a little more depending on quality+durability. I want a pc that can handle what I intend for it without working itself to hard, relatively easy/simple to upgrade/mod and could potentially last me ATLEAST 8 years without having to lets say change out the processor because its been worked to hard or becomes laggy because of use(and or age).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice