1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To buy a laptop, shall look i5, or i7 or Gen series?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tradesource, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tradesource

tradesource Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    was looking for a second-hand laptop for the kids to play games,
    the well-known fact that a machine for games, but have a powerful processor, graphics card and large ram
    I'm between i5 and i7 CPU, but there are many other series under each of these two,
    i5, generation 3,4,5 etc.. also the same for i7,
    here, we can measure the power by i7 is the latter one? but by Gen?
    example: i5 Gen 6, is better than i7 Ge4? or how?
    this part confused me,
    as for the RAM, HDD, SDD
    Thanks in advance!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    RAM (Random Access Memory) is an important factor in a gaming machine: You don't want to have too little of it. For today's games I'd say that to allow for good play etc you'll require a minimum of 8 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM.

HDDs - Hard Disk Drives - are now yesterday's technology with their moving parts in the form of mechanical spinning platters. They're slow and unreliable compared to SSDs - Solid State Drives.

Solid State Drives are totally electronic with no moving parts. They're up to 5 times faster than HDDs.

NVMe SSDs - Non Volatile Memory express Solid State Drives are faster still. - Up to 4 times faster than the standard SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) Solid State Drives.

On a gaming machine it's best to have at least 1 terabyte of drive storage.

Generally Intel CPUs (Central Processing Units) are more reliable for gaming; however AMD's latest Ryzen CPUs tend to perform better for gaming.

When choosing based on the CPU generation it's always best to choose the current generation of CPU. I think it's somewhere around Gen 8 currently. If getting a secondhand machine I suggest getting the highest generation possible. - Many of today's games can't be played or don't play very well on older CPUs.

Also; laptops get hot with normal usage even. They get even hotter when gaming. In my opinion a desktop PC is a better choice for gaming.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  4. KillTheAlarm

KillTheAlarm

I just check cpu benchmarks (there are several sites, like this one https://www.cpubenchmark.net/) and compare them against the models I currently use

5. KillTheAlarm

KillTheAlarm

As for RAM - just get 8GB and it will work well in all but most demanding games. Buy 16GB RAM for total safety

Buy SSD drive, not HDD; it's basically a standard now, as it can make a huge difference in using the machine generally. Another tip - you can easily swap hard drives in most laptops (unless it's some ultra-thin or closed/integrated design one). So, if you got the machine with old/faulty hard drive, don't worry too much, as you can get an 240GB SSD for 30$ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SA400S37-240G-Solid-State/dp/B01N5IB20Q?th=1)

6. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    Well thank you KillTheAlarm for repeating much of what I already said, and otherwise contradicting me with your infinite millennial wisdom.

I wouldn't buy a Kingston drive though. - They're OK I guess; but if you want real quality, serviceability, and performance; it has to be a Samsung 850 Evo. - They're rather expensive, but unbeatable.

If I were to stay with the cheaper drives - as I normally do - I'd go for ADATA. - They are fairly good quality at a reasonable price. I have no complaints with them so far after around a year of using them more than any other in various builds.

Oh and a 240GB SSD is essentially too small in capacity for today's applications. I note you're one of those people who tries to cut corners at every opportunity and do everything on the cheap regardless. 'Thing is with a drive that small you'll run out of space rather quickly.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    SarahSims and KillTheAlarm like this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice