1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To disable paging files, or not to disable paging files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mothergoose729, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mothergoose729

mothergoose729 Thread Starter

I have a fast cpu overclocked to 3.8ghz. A good video card too. But I like fast boot up and a generally snappy system so I'm wondering if deleting paging files is a good idea. I read up on it, and a lot of people advise against it. They say that some applications have huge blocks of memory that they load to the paging files that would quickly fill up RAM. Well I have 4gb of RAM (with maybe an intent to upgrade to 8gb) and I kind of like the idea of all those programs loading their data on to my RAM instead of the paging files of my hard drive. As it is vista 64bit doesn't use even half of what I got unless I am running a powerfull game. So... is it a good idea?

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    No, the system will always need a pageing file even with loads of RAM. Windows will always use RAM first and paging only when absolutely necessary, so I doubt if you will get any improvement turning it off.

3. Orumph

Orumph

This has been a huge debate since the beginning of XP.

How to handle a page file.

There are a number of ideas on what to do, from no page file, small page file, static.
    I tend to lean towards a static page file. Make the min/max the same (3 x amount of ram, or about a max of 4 [4096] to 6 [6144] gigs, this may seem like overkill, but drive space is cheap). This is supposed to help with page file fragmentation. Others will have differing opinions. But, not having a page file is not the best thing to do.

Even if you turn the page file off, if a program calls for it, I think windows will create one anyway. But not optimally, it just creates it.

Deleting the page file and recreating it from time to time is not a bad idea either, but doesn't need to be done all the time. This will clear it out and start it over. It's a good part of maintenance, other opinions will differ.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice