1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To divide or not to divide...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snugglebug, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snugglebug

Snugglebug Thread Starter

First I am impressed with this site...very knowledgable and helpfull people here

My question is actually how best to divide a new 120 gb maxtor external harddrive. Found the poll on the best external harddrive and was pleased to see my vote and others agree...phew...that takes a load off....will make the purchase within a week.

I have a Dell P4 266 with 512mb dddram & 60 gb harddrive and I use XP home & USB 2

The Dell is still under warrenty so opening the case myself is out of the question...The external drive will be just for data storage only, no OS on it.

Thanks in advance for any help :p

2. Firah

Firah

Hello, Snugglebug!

That call is entirely yours! You could divide it up in partitions to store different types of files, or you can leave it unpartitioned and depend on your folder names to locate the files. Though with such a large drive I would partition it in two at least. That way, if I find it necessary to format one partition, I could move all data to the other partition then format.

Suggestion only.

3. slipe

slipe

If you are going to make it your boot drive you should have about a 10Gig partition for the boot partition so you can easily defrag and ghost it.

I see no reason to partition a storage drive. Folders are easier to use than partitions for sorting stuff and a folder can’t get full until the entire drive is full. I also see no need to format a partition on a storage drive. “Delete” works just fine for anything you want to remove.

4. Firah

Firah

Point taken, slipe!

5. Snugglebug

Snugglebug Thread Starter

Thank you both.. a little bit less work for me (y)

My internal harddrive is 6o gb and not partioned..when I get the new drive I initially intend to transfer all programs etc to it. Then format and do a clean install of XP and load all the programs back

So can I assume that 10 gb is the best size for Xp? And keeping all my other programs on the rest of the drive?

Then the question that follows is how to format and install windows.

Does this post now belong in a differnet forum?

Also are there any free programs to make file transfers simple and fast? Iv read referances to Windows wizard not being the best program to use for file transfers.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Actually, just keep posting back to this thread as the others who are reponding have some answers already that won't have to be asked again in a new thread ;)

7. Firah

Firah

10GB is a reasonable size for XP, yes.

I've never done any drive-image copying, so can't advise you on that. I always reinstall all programs after a clean install of OS.

When you're ready to install Windows XP, just boot with the CD and follow instructions through the install process.

Post back if any difficulties.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice