1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To enable or not to enable (file sharing that is)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobmack, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobmack

bobmack Thread Starter

I've recently installed a wireless lan in my office. I have Roadrunner cable coming into their router which in turn is attached to a Linksys router. I have one desktop (Dell) running XP Pro hardwire to the router. I also have a laptop and another desktop connected via wireless. I've seen all over the place that you should not enable file sharing. So, how do you allow acces from one computer to another. I've set them all up on the same workgroup.....what am I missing? I've been able to send print from the wireless laptop to the printer attached to the wireless desktop. It's just the folders I'm having problems accessing.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Where exactly have "I've seen all over the place that you should not enable file sharing".

If you don't that is fine. But then you can't share files. Just a choice to make.

With a router you should be reasonably protected.

3. tsunam

tsunam

a router that has secured wireless, otherwise i can waltz into your network and go, ohh look at this guys monthly statements (if it was shared). Or hmm tax info...chaching, i can go get a credit card because of the social security number.

Basically just be careful what you share.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully in addition to any security features on your router, XP Pro is a bit more difficult to access than XP Home. Not sure anyone can just get on quite so easily if you also disable simple file sharing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!