1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To get dual monitors working....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by headless, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. headless

headless Thread Starter

Hi,

My motherboard is an Asus ASUS M3A76-CM.

http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboard...rd/4507-3049_7-33638043.html?tag=mncol;subnav

Built the computer myself, but have not bothered with a Graphics Card, so just using onboard.
    I have a VGA splitter. I tried using this, on the off chance it would give me dual monitor setup. But it doesn't.
    So I am hoping somebody here would be able to tell me how to get dual monitors working with this PC.
    Presumably I have to buy a certain graphics card?

Cheers

2. headless

headless Thread Starter

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your motherboard already supports dual monitors; it has a VGA port and a DVI-D port. But one of the monitors must have a DVI or HDMI port to connect to the board so check the monitors for the correct port.

If you need to run VGA to both monitors than any of those card would do, but I'd probably stick with an AMD/ATI card, here's one thats in that price range: http://www.ginger6.com/vtx3d-512mb-radeon-hd-5450-ddr3-wlp-p-45132.html
    The DVI-I can be converted to VGA with a an adapter that is usually included with the card.

Please note that none of these cards are considered gaming cards but are better then your current integrated graphics, but if thats a consideration then look at different cards.

FYI the splitter does work but only to give you the exact same thing on both screens.

4. headless

headless Thread Starter

Cheers very much, that info was spot on thanks.

Thing is I should really know, I have set them up before on other computers, just never really know the PC set up, so never taken any specific knowledge from it!

You say my motherboard does support dual monitors, but if I plugged in both a DVI and VGA, that wouldn't work would it?

Cool no problems about gaming card, I have absolutely no interest in gaming, just dual monitors makes it so much easier to work.

Yeah that's right, I just get the display twice.

Cheers

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it should work; this would be similar to having a video card with both VGA and DVI.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice