to make dlink dsl-2640T router as wifi repeater

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

townguy

Hi, pls. help me to make dlink dsl router 2640T to be working as repeater which will be able to receive wifi signals. I've seen one guy using the same dlink dsl-2640T as wifi signal repeater where he was successfully able to receive wifi signals.

My PC's configuration is as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 1974 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 10423 MB; D: Total - 74465 MB, Free - 17354 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 03C6YH
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

townguy

Dear friends,

The reason i have posted this problem because i don't have any Wifi USB adaptor to receive/catch wifi signals but i want to use my existing Dlink router to be acting as repeater which will receive/catch wifi signals instead.

Guys, pls reply me with any suitable solution or yours suggestions. Many thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Does it have Repeater mode? If so, what is your problem?

If not, is there third party firmware, such as DD-WRT, for it?

A Repeater (also called Range Extender) re-broadcasts the wireless signal to provide greater range. You mentioned not having a "Wifi USB adaptor" so I wonder if you really want to use the router as a wireless bridge (also called AP client).

TerryNet

Terry
I just looked up that unit. It's a modem/router combo. Very unlikely that it has Repeater mode, and I did not see it mentioned under "Features" in the user guide.

townguy

Hello Sir,

First off many thanks for your quick response and interest. Yes i also couldn't find any clue in the user guide regarding repeater or bridge mode but just once i had seen this same device working same as wifi receiver while it's just a wifi transmitter in its category.

However, thanks once again and i would be in touch with you for any other support. :>

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. :)

Low probability that this will work, but if you want to try to use it as a wireless bridge (AP Client) set its LAN address to something in your router's LAN subnet but outside the Dhcp server's address range, disable the Dhcp server, and configure the wireless exactly the way the wireless is configured on your router. That may let you connect ethernet devices, but is not going to act as a Repeater.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online