1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To many processes running in TaskManager using Ram

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pawgy, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

I am running windows Xp on a new dell 3.2 intell with 1. gig ram
    In task manager for some reason I have about 50 system and My(Don quier) programs runninging aprox. 370meg of ram.
    i am sure i don't need all of these running. What is the easiest way to tell which ones i can shut down. And How do I keep them from reloading everytime i start windows?

see attached. I couldn't get them all in but this is most of them

Attached Files:

2. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

Does anyone have a suggestion on a program to stop any useless .exe's from running. I used end-it-all for years on my w982ed sysyem but it is not reccomended for xp

3. valis

valis Moderator

one way:

start > run > msconfig > startup tab, decide what you want and don't want to run at start up. Beware of deleting stuff, however; you may want to research what the app actually does before disabling it, rebooting, and finding it was something critical.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What Valis says is true. When working to shutdown or turn off system processes is very dangerous. I would make these suggestions:

Research each and every process that you want to turn off.

Only do one at a time do not think it is easy and turn off more that one.

Write down each and every process you are going to stop this way there will be a record of the deletions

After turning one off take a run with the computer to make sure it still operates correctly

Before turning anything off make sure you know how to turn the item back on again.

Just about the last one.

If the computer is running correctly pretend you can not count and leave the processes alone.

I have more processes than you have running and my system works just fine.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you're making mountains out of molehills. I don't see any issue here. I have 63 processes 468mb of RAM used, and it has no impact on performance.

Attached Files:

6. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

OZ and John. I like your answers. Thank you for your replys. I thought maybe I was over reacting but since I did not use that much ram on my old w98-2ed system i was surprised the first time I ran the task manager and saw that many apps running. Also i was concerned when i saw 7 svchost.exe apps. in the task manager. 3 local service, 2 system and 2 network. and they keep changing.

Valis. Thanks for your reply. i use msconfig frequently when i get too many things loading at start up. Msconfig startup only lists 16 items. Not the 50 items listed in the task manager.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You also have to remember this if you look at the processes an Athlon processor uses and then the processes a Sempron processor uses the Sempron will use more basically because it is being made to look and run like an Athlon processor. A Sempron is to an AMD processor as a Celron is to a full PIV it is just a cheaper processor and needs all of those extra processes to make it look and run like its big brother.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice