To Nivida or not to Nivida

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MajorModeler

I have installed a PNY Nivida G force 6200 video card, AGP, 128mb.
I have removed all previous Nivida drivers using the uninstall, followed by a "clean up the loose ends" program. Re-installed the latest (93.71) drivers.
I have shut down all startups using msconfig.
I am running XP.
The system locks up anywhere along the operation - generally if I just leave it alone. If I re-boot, then do not log in, but wait, it locks up.
If I use the same exact machine, but boot WIN 2000, no lockup.
I have been told that Nivida cards do not work well with XP, and I should get an AVI video card.
Thoughts, comments???:confused:

Interesting. All of the video cards I have ever had were Nvidia. Currently, I have a 7900 GT.

Faulty video cards cause artifacts and video problems, not normally lockups. Bad power supplies, and memory are the primary causes of lockup.

Might want to check them out.

Courtney sends...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have several systems with nVidia cards. In point of fact, the ATI drivers were a problem, so I removed an ATI card from my Vista system and replaced it with a nVidia, which solved the issue.

nVidia is the only grpahics card I trust whole heartedly.

Though some of the problems with the 8800 make me question whether they pushed production out on it without out doing a full check.

the 7600 and 7900's are amazing, and the 7600's are a great deal for only $100.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I picked up my 7600 for $49, found it on one of the bargain pages I frequent. :)

MajorModeler

Courtneyc said:
...snip...
Faulty video cards cause artifacts and video problems, not normally lockups. Bad power supplies, and memory are the primary causes of lockup.

Might want to check them out.

Courtney sends...
I have run the memory test "Memory86" for several hours with no faults or problems showing up. I guess the next place is the power supply. Is there a test that can be run without trying another supply, or is that really the only positive test?

JohnWill said:
I picked up my 7600 for $49, found it on one of the bargain pages I frequent. :)
You are too good and need to leave trails for us to follow!

I solved a similar ATi problem by switching to an Nvidia 6600 Gt card and cannot help but wonder if your problem isn't a bad card rather than an indictment of a chipmaker, something I came to the conclusion was my problem. Either than or backing away from the newest driver downloads, which is something I started doing years ago with both ATi and Nvidia.

MajorModeler

buddythedog said:
What do you have for a PS? Although I would expect that would affect both 2000 and XP.
Me too.

The power supply is the minimum recommended by the video card support line. They sent me a replacement card when this problem first showed up with their initial card. So now, with the second card in, the problems are continuing.

You can try an earlier driver as suggested, although your card is listed as compatible withe the latest drivers. Also look for any chipset drivers updates for your MB. If there are any uninstall the card drivers as you did before and then reinstall the chipset drivers, followed by the card drivers.

MajorModeler

buddythedog said:
You can try an earlier driver as suggested, although your card is listed as compatible withe the latest drivers. Also look for any chipset drivers updates for your MB. If there are any uninstall the card drivers as you did before and then reinstall the chipset drivers, followed by the card drivers.
I thought about earlier driver versions, but the card support line was pretty insistent about using the latest version.

I never thought there would be interaction between the chipset updates and the video drivers. Can you elaborate on that?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
MajorModeler said:
Me too.

The power supply is the minimum recommended by the video card support line. They sent me a replacement card when this problem first showed up with their initial card. So now, with the second card in, the problems are continuing.
If it's the minimum capacity, and it's not a good brand, it could easily be the issue. Many cheap power supplies don't deliver nearly what the label claims.

MajorModeler

Are there any brands that I should definitely stay away from? I thought that a lot of different brands were really designed / fabricated by the same house and just relabeled as needed.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There are many opinions on P/S brands. One that has proven to be pretty correct over the years is to pick by weight: http://www.directron.com/psu.html

If I'm picking a P/S, I normally stick to known brands, here's a list that is usually good to pick from.

Antec
Sparkle
Enermax Technology
PC Power & Cooling
Fortron Source
CoolerMaster
SeaSonic
Vantec

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online