To Proxy Or Not To Proxy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brvsfn01

I am having off again and on again problems with my internet access and I am trying to eliminate one by one the issues that I find. I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude laptop. I connect to the internet via WiFi and I am using a Netgear auxilliary WiFi antenna that I have connected to my computer via a USB 3.0 cable so I could get the antenna to a better signal position. A large part of the problems I am having I think are due to the ISP, Cox Cable but sadly I am sharing a place with a friend and he is a cheap soandso and doesn't want to spend any money to fix the multitude of problems that we are having with the WiFi.

I am using Edge for my internet browsing having un-installed Firefox after the last round of stupidity I experienced with that crap browser and I will never allow that PoS software into any computer I own ever again. Back 20 years ago Firefox might have been good but that was before those cretins at Mozilla decide that it was a good idea to release a complete update to their browser once every other day and in the process jam up and completely hose people's computers. Edge is at least 3 times faster than Firefox and a lot more stable plus a lot less bloated so for now Edge is my browser of choice.

One thing I am not clear on and which may be contributing to the problems I am having is the Proxy settings in Edge (and Firefox before I tossed it in the trash). I have always been under the understanding that a Proxy is run in a corporate or enterprise setting and single users don't need to access the internet via proxy but the documentation in Edge suggests that WiFi users access the internet via the proxy built into Edge so I am confused. I typically disable the Proxy and have noticed especially with the bloatware browser that somehow mysteriously periodically the Proxy got turned back on which is yet another reason why I do not use the crapware browser anymore. What are the prevailing thoughts on Proxies? Should I enable it or disable it? If I enable it do I let it use its own settings or do I set up up manually? Any other input will be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Poxys are a piece of software that sits on a server somewhere in the organization, and everybody's browser connection is funneled thru it. Originally, proxys are meant to speed up browsing so that if several different machines asks for the same web page, the page stored in the proxy is sent to the user rather than going out to the real site to fetch it again and again, However, Some proxy's nowadays also serves as a web site filtering blocking software, so that certain categories of web sites will be blocked for the users in the company, like sex, drugs etc. If you setup your browser to use a proxy, then company mandarins can see all the sites you have visited.

You did not elaborate on the problems you are facing with wifi ?

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please run the tool in my signature below and post the information here. This information will be your system details and no other information.

Since you mention Cox, do you have a wireless modem from them, or did you guys by your own? or do you have a normal modem and you guys have purchased a router?

Please can you elaborate on the wireless issues you have as it seems you are having issues with the signal, from what I gathered before you went to talk about the proxy service.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts