1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To purchase or not to purchase

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chewie1012, Nov 10, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Guest Thread Starter

I am thinking of purchasing xp. I have built this system of mine and most of it works most of the time but all of it never works all the time. I have a dual boot dual hard drive system. The reason for two os's is because I couldn't get everything to work in win2k pro. Now I am having video difficulties. I have a very full system. I have a modem, network card, sound card,dvd decoder card, scsi card and video card (ati all in wonder 32mb pro), cd rw, dvd,zip drive, usb hub,compact flash, It is my dream to have everything work with one operating system. I would like to be able to watch movies,tv,record cd's at 12x,download network etc. I have been thinking of getting win xp pro in hopes I will be able to use all my hardware and all my software. I don't have any old dos games. I don't even care about games to tell the truth. But I do like music and movies etc. Do you think xp will do the trick or will I just be wasting my money? Also do you know what is involved in becoming a licensed system builder from Microsoft?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi.... In my opinion ... I think its a bit to early in the game.Wait a while & see what the reviews tell ya.
    Upgrades always bring more features, but are also a hassle. If the features outweigh the hassle then you upgrade - if not then you dont. Lets not forget the security issues as well.

In the end the decision is yours to make. But IMHO... I'd wait a while.

Savvy :)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chewie
    I agree with Savvy. At this point you may be creating more problems. Before any consideration of XP I would review each and every one of your pieces of hardware and insure there are drivers available or the equipment is compatable. Also software may also be an issue in some cases. For instance most of the antivirus programs are not currently compatable with XP.
    By the way you mentioned two OS's what is the other one?
    Dave

4. chewie1012

I have windows 98 se and win2k pro.

5. chewie1012

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like some of my problem is that win2k puts almost everything on irq 11. Does xp have better support for so many different things?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I saw that you have a cdrw, and are experiencing problems with win2k. Are you by chance running direct cd? If so that can lead to a lot of system instability with win2k. There are two ways [that I know of, there may be more] to get win2k to assign irq’s other than 11. I had problems and thought that irq sharing was causing it; however, the problem was direct cd. I have not had a problem since I started using nero to copy cd’s. If you want to know how to disable apci post back and I will post the instructions.

7. chewie1012

Actually I have not been using anything to burn cd's on win2k because I could never get good speed. I have both easy cd creator and hp's software. If you try to install easy cd creator it cause your system to constantly reboot unless you only install parts of it. If I use hp's software it will only record at slower speeds. In windows 98 I can burn cd's at 12x without making coasters all day long when I use easy cd creator. I don't know if I want to try and mess with the irq's I spoke with an mcse guy and he said as long as it says no conflicts win2k was designed to work like it is.

8. shard6

shard6

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice