1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To Ram or Not to Ram

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by jVirus, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

I have a designated early 2008 / late 2008 white macbook 4,1 with 2GB of ram. I have been much considering what ram I want. I just as soon have as much as I can or will I really need it?

The basic upgrade would be 2x2GB sticks and get rid of the others. However I am reading on various Ram stores that one would want a matched pair? Dual Channel mode and the like?

Just wondering if I should get that 6GB set up 1x4GB 1x2GB setup or will i piss away performance having one higher ram stick. I have no idea what to do. If all is good I want the max ram possible but if this is bringing my performance down as it filters thorough the first ram stick then to the lesser one?

What should I do. Please help. Experienced Mac users please share.:cool:

2. Headrush

Headrush

More RAM trumps the performance of dual channel DIMMs.

The performance advantage is generally not noticeable in every day desktop use to most people.

3. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

yeah I seem to be reading that opinion online.

if i have 1x4GB + 1x2GB in which order should I put them in my Macbook? The 4GB first do you think?

4. Headrush

Headrush

Couldn't tell you that.

Generally it doesn't make a difference, but if it fails to work one way, just reverse them.

5. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

A little trial and error. ...swwwwweeeeeeeet.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice