1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To reinstall, or not: non-functioning Win10 on Asus X series

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Pinkie15, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pinkie15

Pinkie15 Thread Starter

Our Asus X series laptop (I'll get specific model etc... later when at home and update post) with Win 10 has ceased to function.

It boots up (seemingly) okay, but will not connect to the internet and we can't open any programs.

I can connect to the internet with other devices (smartphones, kids tablets, work's laptop), so it can't be the modem/router.

The laptop has been getting slower and slower over time and I've been meaning to have a browse for potential issues/fixes, but hand is now forced.

My question is whether it is worth running any diagnostic tools on it (if I can get them to run), or do I try and reinstall Win 10 ?

Not being particularly tech savvy I'm not sure what diagnostics would need to be run or even how I go about reinstalling the system, so any/all help and guidance greatly appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What happens when you try to open a program and which ones?

3. Pinkie15

Pinkie15 Thread Starter

Just tried to open IE, Chrome, Acrobat. They open, but take several minutes to do so.

Still won't connect to internet. It "sees" the wifi signal, but will not connect. I've deleted and reset the wifi settings, but no joy.

Have tried to run a scan with free version of Panda antivirus. That's managing to run a (allegedly) full scan in 5 minutes. It used to take 2 - 3 hours, so can't be functioning correctly.

Btw, it's an Asus X550C

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I had similar issues and had to replace the hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice