1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

To shut down or not to shut down...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Charliesmomu, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

that is my question!
    I have always shut down my pcs at the end of the day, assuming it saved household electric bills etc. However on my new Vista machine it actually says not to..just to let it go into sleep mode as it's better for it.

Ok I can leave that one.. but should I also be leaving my XP pc and lap tops running , and if so why? My main Xp computer is getting on a bit (3 years old and pretty full but runs my router ok) so I want to treat it kindly!
    Thanks
    Jules

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I can't speak for Vista because I don't use it and don't plan to for a long time. It's a new operating system and is full of bugs and already has a Service Pack 1 planned for release later this year.

I shut down my XP computers after using them. I don't use any power management features, such as hibernate, sleep, standby, etc.. My power options are set to "Always On" and "Never".

Attached Files:

3. golferbob

golferbob

i don't know which is best ,i shutdown every night with my xp.

4. bbearren

bbearren

I shut down my laptop when I'm finished with it.

I never shut down my desktop. I occaisionally do restarts as required by MS updates or software installations, or there might be a power failure, but other than that it runs all the time. I run automatic AV and malware scans every night after I'm asleep.

The monitor goes blank after 20 minutes, and the hard drives shut down after 2 hours. I've been doing this since the late 90's with no ill effects.

5. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

I have 7+ systems and I run them all 24/7. With very rare exceptions, I've never had a problem. I don't spin my hard disks down (or turn them off). That prematurely wears the drive motor. I was told this by a technician who works for Western Digital. He explained it to me as being similar to starting and stopping a cold engine constantly. I set up a test bench with 6 Western Digital Caviar drives that we had at work....ran 3 continuously for 5 months and 3 with power management features. 2 of the ones with power management failed. None of the ones that ran continuously did. That convinced me.....along with my personal experience.

Some of us REALLY need a personal life. ROFL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!