1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

token ring card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tss, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tss

tss Thread Starter

I have a strange problem with a token ring card. Not sure if it's a networking issue or a Win95/98 isssue. so feel free to move the thread.

PC is a Gateway PIII 600mhz, 128mb RAM running Win98 SE. As part of our "recycling" program, this PC was replaced. I formatted the drive, reloaded Win98, reloaded all of our office's apps, and everything was fine for three weeks. Suddenly, the user tells me they can't hit our local server. I take a look in Device Manager, and have an error on the token ring card (IBM NDIS 16/4). Tried updating the driver, but upon rebooting, got error saying "There is a problem with IBM NDIS token ring adapter, it may need to be reinstalled". Removed it, rebooted, put it back in, rebooted, installed the drivers and gave it the ok to reboot again. Same message. 100% positive I'm using the right driver. Just for fun, I took that card out and put in an Olicom token ring card. While Win98 is loading, I get a BSOD saying there is a problem with ntkern.vxd? Have also tried two other IBM cards, still no luck. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!!

2. plucnik

plucnik

Try pinging the card with loopback 127.0.0.1 It should return a normal "ping" if the card and drivers are installed correctly. Also, check the spped on the cards....everything has to be the same speed on Token Ring

3. tss

tss Thread Starter

Nope, won't ping. I about to throw it out the window! I've installed the same card with the same driver in dozens of other PCs. Speed is set right.
    I'm thinking of just letting it sit there until the ethernet (finally!) is wired later this spring. Thanks for the tips!

4. plucnik

plucnik

The only other thing that comes to mind is an IRQ conflict. I'm a little rusty on my IRQ assigments but I think that 5 may be the LPT2 port that's rarely used. Try going to the device manager and then to the properties of the card and change the IRQ there.

5. tss

tss Thread Starter

I checked IRQ, can't find any conflicts, don't have an LPT2 on this one. I've never had a machine beat me down like this one. Doesn't make any sense.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice