1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TomTom Lifetime Traffic

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by cwwozniak, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have an older TomTom XXL car GPS unit that came with Lifetime Real-time Traffic and Maps. It is starting to go bad and has reached end of life as far as firmware updates and adding features is concerned.

If I were to purchase a new TomTom VIA 1525 car GPS unit with lifetime map updates but not lifetime traffic, would using the old cigarette lighter adapter with the built-in traffic receiver automatically add Real-time traffic to the new GPS unit? I would need to check if the VIA has a mini-USB jack or if I need an adapter to fit a micro-USB jack.

Or, does the VIA purchased without lifetime real-time traffic support have different firmware that does not do real-time traffic?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to a friend of mine the real time traffic device should work with the newer TomTom.

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I also had an old Tom Tom GPS and it had me running in circles. I emailed Tom Tom support and they told me my GPS was already outdated and no support was available for said device. I had to buy another GPS which comes with lifetime map updates.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank-you for the good news, managed. I purchased a VIA 1525m yesterday afternoon. A local store had a hefty customer perk's card discount offer that ended that day. I figured I could take it back unopened for a refund if it did not support adding real time traffic. I will need to get a suitable adapter to go from the mini-USB plug of the traffic receiver to the micro-USB jack in the GPS unit.

My XXL unit is about seven years old, texasbullet. Between TomTom declaring it end-of-life and some hardware issues, I figured it was time for a new one. I did find out that although my XXL is no longer supported, it still had lifetime map updates for as long as the map file still fit the available memory. I did have to switch to a USA only map as the updated full North American version no longer fit.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did it work with the new adapter ?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I'm waiting to receive a mini to micro-USB adapter that I ordered. I didn't feel like cutting up the cord on the old receiver to splice in a micro-USB cable. I miss the days when one could usually find such an adapter at their local Radio-Shack store.

I'm also waiting to receive a swivel ball adapter to replace the XXL mounting ring on my aftermarket windshield mount.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I hope it all works for you.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Ahh, the best-laid plans of mice and men ...

First, I found out that the seller was out of stock of the swivel ball adapter and was refunding my order. The part has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Second, I then got an update on the delivery date to mid to late October for the USB plug adapter. I think they are sending it via carrier pigeon.

Third, yesterday my old XXL was showing that it was being powered by the traffic receiver cord but not getting traffic information. Twisting and bending the wire near the plug for the GPS restored the traffic informaion. I suspect an intermittent connection in a data line at the plug.

That was when I decided to just buy the correct Traffic receiver power cord for the new VIA unit. I could not find any information on the TomTom website that listed the specific model number of the traffic power cord used with the VIA 1525TM version of the product. I also could not find such a cord on Amazon that specifically listed it would work with the VIA 1525TM. I finally found a source on Ebay, with the seller in China. Ebay is showing a delivery date between October 2nd and the 12th.

So, I will switch to using the new VIA model when I receive the correct traffic receiver. I still plan to test the old traffic receiver with the new VIA model when I receive the USB adapter. I will report my results here just in case someone ever finds themselves in the same situation.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes it could help someone else, I will keep an eye on this thread. Good luck. :)

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I was putting away some USB cables and came across one that had the correct adapter attached to it. I tested it with the TomTom 4UUC.001.01 traffic receiver I am using with the TomTom XXL. The VIA 1525M never saw it. Knowing about the intermittent nature of the plug, I slowly bent and twisted it, with no change. I confirmed the mini-to-micro-USB adapter was good by using it to connect to my computer.

I'll have to wait to see if the traffic receiver I ordered will work correctly.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Shame it didn't work, I'll tell my friend he was wrong !

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice