TomTom Lifetime Traffic

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
I have an older TomTom XXL car GPS unit that came with Lifetime Real-time Traffic and Maps. It is starting to go bad and has reached end of life as far as firmware updates and adding features is concerned.

If I were to purchase a new TomTom VIA 1525 car GPS unit with lifetime map updates but not lifetime traffic, would using the old cigarette lighter adapter with the built-in traffic receiver automatically add Real-time traffic to the new GPS unit? I would need to check if the VIA has a mini-USB jack or if I need an adapter to fit a micro-USB jack.

Or, does the VIA purchased without lifetime real-time traffic support have different firmware that does not do real-time traffic?

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
According to a friend of mine the real time traffic device should work with the newer TomTom.

First Name
Ramon
I also had an old Tom Tom GPS and it had me running in circles. I emailed Tom Tom support and they told me my GPS was already outdated and no support was available for said device. I had to buy another GPS which comes with lifetime map updates.

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Thank-you for the good news, managed. I purchased a VIA 1525m yesterday afternoon. A local store had a hefty customer perk's card discount offer that ended that day. I figured I could take it back unopened for a refund if it did not support adding real time traffic. I will need to get a suitable adapter to go from the mini-USB plug of the traffic receiver to the micro-USB jack in the GPS unit.

My XXL unit is about seven years old, texasbullet. Between TomTom declaring it end-of-life and some hardware issues, I figured it was time for a new one. I did find out that although my XXL is no longer supported, it still had lifetime map updates for as long as the map file still fit the available memory. I did have to switch to a USA only map as the updated full North American version no longer fit.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Did it work with the new adapter ?

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
I'm waiting to receive a mini to micro-USB adapter that I ordered. I didn't feel like cutting up the cord on the old receiver to splice in a micro-USB cable. I miss the days when one could usually find such an adapter at their local Radio-Shack store.

I'm also waiting to receive a swivel ball adapter to replace the XXL mounting ring on my aftermarket windshield mount.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Ok, I hope it all works for you.

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Ahh, the best-laid plans of mice and men ...

First, I found out that the seller was out of stock of the swivel ball adapter and was refunding my order. The part has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Second, I then got an update on the delivery date to mid to late October for the USB plug adapter. I think they are sending it via carrier pigeon.

Third, yesterday my old XXL was showing that it was being powered by the traffic receiver cord but not getting traffic information. Twisting and bending the wire near the plug for the GPS restored the traffic informaion. I suspect an intermittent connection in a data line at the plug.

That was when I decided to just buy the correct Traffic receiver power cord for the new VIA unit. I could not find any information on the TomTom website that listed the specific model number of the traffic power cord used with the VIA 1525TM version of the product. I also could not find such a cord on Amazon that specifically listed it would work with the VIA 1525TM. I finally found a source on Ebay, with the seller in China. Ebay is showing a delivery date between October 2nd and the 12th.

So, I will switch to using the new VIA model when I receive the correct traffic receiver. I still plan to test the old traffic receiver with the new VIA model when I receive the USB adapter. I will report my results here just in case someone ever finds themselves in the same situation.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Yes it could help someone else, I will keep an eye on this thread. Good luck. :)

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
I was putting away some USB cables and came across one that had the correct adapter attached to it. I tested it with the TomTom 4UUC.001.01 traffic receiver I am using with the TomTom XXL. The VIA 1525M never saw it. Knowing about the intermittent nature of the plug, I slowly bent and twisted it, with no change. I confirmed the mini-to-micro-USB adapter was good by using it to connect to my computer.

I'll have to wait to see if the traffic receiver I ordered will work correctly.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Shame it didn't work, I'll tell my friend he was wrong !

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
A long overdue update.

I ordered a TomTom Model 4UUC5B Cigarette Lighter Socket Power Adapter w/Traffic Receiver on eBay. I tested it on my TomTom VIA 1525 in October and the receiver portion did not seem to get detected. It powered the GPS unit just fine. I did not bother to test any further.

I decided to give it another try a few days ago. I first updated the GPS software and map files. Low and behold, the VIA 1525 flashed a message that the traffic receiver was detected when I tried it out in my car. However, I did not get any indication on the main driving screen that data was being received and processed. I did not see anything until I tested it for my commutes to and from work. It was reporting traffic backups as they occurred as well as the delay times and suggested alternate routes when available. As far as I can tell, there is no indication when the receiver stops picking up data when I get out of the coverage area.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online