Too big for recycle bin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mr.cool7

I have just deleted some DVD files and I got a message saying that they were too big for the recycle bin.
( I have recently limited my recycle bin space to 10% of it's capacity to save space).
Anyway, I clicked yes and the files were gone. Where did they go?
I appreciate any help you can give to clarify this issue.

They went to the same place files go when you empty the recycle bin. Files are never really removed on a computer, but made to where they can be written over (the first digit is changed to a zero so that space can be used again). This is what happens when you empty the recycle bin. To really delete a file it has to be erased with an after market shredder.

mr.cool7

So...what can I do do delete those files?
What is an after market shredder..where can I get one?

Unless they are something you don't want anyone else to see they will be written over as you use the pc. The space that was occupied by the files is just like free available space now. If they are files of a sensitive or personal matter and you do want to shred them then you can download one of the free utilities on the net. I use Heidi Eraser, but there are many available. One very strong word of caution though, make SURE you know what you are doing when using a shredder/eraser so you don't end up erasing folders/files that you use or Windows files.
You can download Eraser here http://www.download.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231813.html

mr.cool7

Thanks for your fast answer, that sure was new to me and now a lot of other things suddenly make much more sense.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online