1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too large for the destination file system.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Fank, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fank

Fank Thread Starter

I get this whenever I try to move the file to either one of my external Hard Drive.

[​IMG]

There's plenty of room on either, so what's the problem?

(And I pretty much own every DVD or VHS of Star Wars I could lay my hands on, FYI ; )

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

They're FAT volumes. You need to split the file into smaller parts. I think the max file size for FAT drives is 4.00 GB. You might be able to reformat your external hard drive using NTFS. Try right clicking on it in Computer, then click Format... and choose NTFS in the dropdown menu under File System. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

To split the file, I recommend using HJSplit from here. It is a very lightweight program and no installation is required.

3. mtbird

mtbird

4. hugoelmoro

hugoelmoro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704717