too many drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plumber1

My computer does not display or recognize all my drives. It will will not show drives above letter "F". My drives are, a: floppy, c: hard drive, d: cd burner, e: dvd/cd player, f: dvd burner, g: usb hard drive. Yet g: drive is listed under disk manager. I have tried changing a drive letter to H:, but no luck. I'm using xp with sp2. :confused:

You haven't exceeded the limit on drive letters. My wife's dvd drive is N: My computer's USB/DVD drive is letter H: Years ago I knew how to set the maximun drive letter on Win98 systems. Of hand, I can't recall it. Maybe dementia is setting in :)

I consulted the computer source of all knowledge, Google, and found a link to Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307844

See it there is any useful help there.

Triple6

Rob
Is the USB drive partitioned and formatted properly? If the file system on the drive is unrecognised or missing then it won't show up in My Computer.

Also you, or someone else may have hidden some drive letters with something like Tweakui.

plumber1

The USB drive works fine if I change it to "F". But if I go to my computer it will not show any drives higher than "F".such as jump drives or cameras. Also if I put a cd in drive "H" xp will swap the name to a drive that I am not using, such as "E"and then it will work.

plumber1

The USB drive works fine if I change it to "F". But if I go to my computer it will not show any drives higher than "F".such as jump drives or cameras. Also if I put a cd in drive "H" xp will swap the name to a drive that I am not using, such as "E"and then it will work. I am using xp withsp2.
thank you.

Try going to the HD's maufacturer's website. They may have downloadable installation/troubleshooting software.

I once tried to install a slave IDE HD. The BIOS found it. So did the Device Manager. But Windows XP would not assign a drive letter. The drive is unformatted so that may be the problem. I went to Maxtor's website and downloaded installation software that does the required formatting and partitioning. I have yet to try it , however, because I have to open the case and unplug one CD ROM and plug in the HD, etc. Too busy right now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online