Too many files??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

David McKeal

My system is Windows XP pro.

I have had a problem for a while where my system would have a blue screen crash, revert to DOS, tell me that it was shutting down due to a serious error that could have damaged my system, tell me it was transferring physical memory to disk and then go about the its business until, after a count up process visible on the bottom of the blue screen that normally reaches about 100. the reboot occurs.

This always happens when I'm working in a graphics folder that contained about 44,000 files and when I was copying or moving the files from one folder to another within the big folder. Since it is my work product, I have had the folder protected with a program I purchased years ago called "Magic Folders".

Can anyone tell me if I was creating my own problem by keeping such a large group of graphic files in a single folder or if maybe the "Magic Folders" protection system may be at fault. The total size of the folder was about 1.1 gigs. I have since split the folder into 3 parts but have not had enough experience with it yet to know if I solved the problem. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the drive is formatted NTFS.

Thanks.
Dave

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How long are the Folder - Subfolder - and File names ??
I've heard there is a limit in the number of characters allowed in a directory path.

I've personally messed with a similar project of small Images, the quanity was several times larger than you indicated - with no problem ... but the folder(s) were not protected.

David McKeal

Longest would be about 46 characters: Ex:
D:/Jaz Bkp/New/New Work Folder/New Finished 5

David McKeal

Also, the problem doesn't happen all the time. I may move files 30, 40, 50 or more times before the crash. The blue screen error says something about a "page fault" error. When I allow the error to post to Microsoft, MS reports a problem with McAfee firewall and that a fix is available from them. However, the McAfee version they report to be at fault is a version considerable earlier than the one I am running and any attempt to use the "fix" is aborted when it is discovered that I am running a later version than the fix was intended for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online