1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too many open applications makes Win XP seize up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ben.lobo, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ben.lobo

ben.lobo Thread Starter

My Windows XP PC keeps seizing up whenever I have several applications at the same time.

It doesn't completely freeze or blue sreen or anything. It seems to get stuck in a maxed-out processor loop which the only remedy for is to reboot.

It usually happens when I try to have Dreamweaver, Photoshop, ITunes, Firefox, Explorer, Opera and several other smaller apps open at the same time.

My system is has a 2GHz AMD processor and 1GB RAM but I don't think the problem is simply that I'm trying to do too much because I've got another PC running Windows 2000 advanced server with a 933MHz processor and 512MB RAM which never crashes no matter how many of these applications I have open.

Could it be something to do with the swap file? Or is it more likely bad RAM or something?

Thanks.

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Try to use less apps. Your computer should not be locking up, try and expand your swap file, but keep it less than 4000mb. Try testing your ram using metest86.

3. dcbell

dcbell

Does BIOS show 1 gb ram?

4. Jones

Jones

I also use similar software at work, and my work machine has 2gb RAM. I do notice a bit of slowdown when I have Photoshop, GoLive, mail, and internet all running, but it's much better than when I only had 1gb. What you're experiencing is not uncommon. Web design programs and Photoshop are big memory hogs, so an upgrade to 2gb of RAM or higher should give you better performance when multitasking.

I do agree that you should do memtest on your existing RAM though, to see if that is the problem.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

You're right in that it shouldn't lock-up, maybe just slow down.

The more applications you run the greater the chance of some kind of conflict between themselves and the operating system, it's drivers, memory etc.

Using three different web browsers simultaneously sounds like asking for trouble.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice