Too many or too little charging watts?

TomboyByDay

Are there any drawbacks to charging with an adapter that's either too big or too small? I ordered the iPhone 13, which Apple says needs a 20w charger, but I'd like to use either the 18w pixel charger I already have or my 96w MacBook Pro charger. I just want to make sure I won't damage the iPhone battery or shorten it's life. Thanks

Couriant

James
No. The power rating of a charger has no bearing on the life of the battery nor the consumption of power by the device. A higher wattage charger only means it can supply up to the specified amount of current, not that it will push that amount of current to the device.

Having said that, using a lower charger, or a older cable (i.e. USB-A charger) then it will be slower charge or not charging at all. You should be using the supplied cable, which is a UBC-C to Lightning or an compatible adapter. I have an Anker charger that is USB-C to Lightning.

I wouldn't recommend using either cable you are suggesting, but that's my preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online