1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too many picture folders

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MikeChandler, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeChandler

MikeChandler Thread Starter

Pictures folder where the photos are is buried very deep with the identification now reading "Users/Mike/Pictures/Pictures/Pictures/Pictures/Pictures/Pictures."
    I found a similar issue in a closed thread started by [​IMG] loricherokee on 12th Feb 2012. I have followed the final advice given which [​IMG] loricherokee responded had worked. However when I tried it and clicked on the restore default button and followed the instructions I got a 'Cannot redirect descendant into parent. The specified path is invalid'

Is there some way round this?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you were to count the characters of the full path, file name and extension, how many characters is there?

Remember that Windows does NOT handle anything more that 250 characters, on CD's and DVD's handle even far less.

Also the "\" do count, as well as the "C:\" and if you are sharing across a network, then the full "Share name" is included.

3. MikeChandler

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the interest. There are 84 characters in the file name that i'm trying to reduce to 16

Mike

4. MikeChandler

I have now resolved the issue. It simply involved renaming he picture folder in users/mike to 'pictures 1' then dragging and dropping the pictures folder at the end of the long pictures repeated file name to users/mike. I then made sure that all the picture folders were there before deleting the renamed 'pictures 1' folder. I then had to go into elements to ensure that in Edit/Preferences/File 'folder for saved files was the new picture folder. My only issue now is th on the desktop the pictures folder needs to be referenced back to the new folder pictures folder.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you mean the ICON on the desktop needs to be linked to this new folder?

If so right click the icon, select properties, and there you can change the path to what you want.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice