1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too many running processes in vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DestroyMassMedia, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DestroyMassMedia

DestroyMassMedia Thread Starter

I recently got my laptop, a Compaq V6000 running vista home premium, and I noticed it's running a bit on the slow side. I opend the task manager and noticed there were 71 running processes. Is this normal for Vista? There's also 13 svchost.exe's running and I don't know what they are or what they do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you see any programs I can uninstall by looking at the screencaptures? Any advice is apreciated. Thanks.

2. Blueyonder

Blueyonder

Whew! That`s a lot of processes. I have only 20 running.

It is not possible to tell what they are by just looking at the Task Manager List. You need to use a program like Process Explorer. It will tell you what all the processes are

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

I suggest you also check what is running in msconfig.
    Start Button/Run and type in
    msconfig
    OK

Startup Tab
    Keep the page open then go to link below. It will tell you what all the entries are and whether you can disable them or not. It will also identify any malware. Disable everything which is not needed to run at start up

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Read the Key at top of page. Use the Search box to check all your entries

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I've got 47 processes running of which 34 are Microsoft processes. I guess blueyonder has disabaled a couple.- Your extra progs maybe legit, but when you buy a preinstalled laptop, they usually add a few third-party software items, mostly expiring demos. Those are possibly the one's you should try to spot.

4. techy689

techy689

5. DestroyMassMedia

DestroyMassMedia Thread Starter

I'm down to 61 processes now after uninstalling some of the preinstalled software and disabling stuff with msconfig. I'll try s4bas' meathod when I get home. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552854