1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too much disk space consumed for "System Volume Information"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rk.Mishra, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rk.Mishra

Rk.Mishra Thread Starter

Using XP SP-1, 40GB HDD
    A folder named "System Volume Information" has been created in each drive (C:,D:,E:,F: )
    and consuming significant disk space day by day. Whether deleting these folders will create any problem. Any other technique to stop increasing the size of these folders ? Please suggest.
    Presently consuming more than 3 GB in total.
    Sometimes I need system restore to speed up the PC (besides other registry tools ) ..therefore this function is enabled in the system.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

You can set the System Restore to lower usage.

Press Windows Logo key + Pause Break key together

In the new window click on System Restore

Under the heading Disk Space Usage you can lower the Usage.....max is 12%

3. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

System Volume Information folder contain the information needed for System Restore

however, you can limit the the disk space consumption. open your system properties, click the system restore tab and use the slider. furthermore, system restore is only required for drives holding your operating system and/or programs, you might as well disable system restore on storage partitions altogether.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

settings/control panel/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup will remove temp/windows temp/recycle bin and any other boxes you check as it comes up.

it will only clean the drive where xp is located, not the others.

defrag could help too if it's been a while since it's been done.

i do disk cleanup once a week and defrag as necessary.

you could have a virus.

5. Rk.Mishra

Rk.Mishra Thread Starter

I have an updated Anti-Virus and do not suspect virus evasion. However recently reduced the size in setting as suggested by The_Oracle and Bonk. I am expecting some better results.
    Thanx....

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

oracle/bonk are items i'm not familiar with.

7. The Hound

The Hound

I use a cleanup program called "Cleanup!" (original, eh??) from Steven Gould available free here: http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html

I use version 4.0--If your machine is like any of the 50 or so I've used this program to scour, you'll be appalled at the number of temp, prefetch, cookie, and other junk files cleaned on the first run--up to 4 gigs cleaned on one machine...The first pass may take a few minutes, but I use it every few days now, and it takes less than a minute-and works better and faster whan Windows Disk Cleanup.

And, by the way, reducing the size of the system_volume_information file will reduce the number of available restore points...You'll have to decide how to balance that factor.

bow wow

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

no more appalled than the 1st time using diskcleanup.

the 1st time or two, it can take a while if it hasn't ever been used, i'm talking months into years.

disk cleanup works fine if used regularly. takes about aminute on a 40g drive, after the long 1st one.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/577817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice