1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too Much RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mskimberly, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mskimberly

mskimberly Thread Starter

My PC came with 64 RAM. About a year ago I added 128. I bought another 128 last week and tried to install it. The system recognized the RAM but said there was a problem withe setup. I tried to save the system settings but it did not work. Any suggestions?

2. MCP

MCP

What operating system is the computer using? And, what were the types of RAM installed?

3. mskimberly

windows 98, SDRAM

thanks

4. RSM123

RSM123

Did you put the larger Ram stick in the first slot ? I know some pcs can give problems if not, that is if you're still using the 64mb with the two larger sticks.

Can you state what motherboard you've got as if its an older model there maybe limitations on what you can put in it.

5. mskimberly

no i did not try that
    i put the two larger sticks in first

6. suesman

suesman

What brand of motherboard do you have or what brand of computer is it. I had a similar problem with an old Gateway. I had placed 2 128meg sticks of PC100 in and it wouldn't boot at all. I had just placed them in the open slots leaving the original 64 meg stick in place. I removed them all, blew out the slots with some "Air in a Can" & reinstalled them 128, 128, 64 & WAHLAH all was good again.

7. Romulus

Romulus

Which version of Windows 98 do you use. The earlier versions didn't support more than 160 Mb. :/

Check bus speed for the modules.
    Not sure about this, but maybe it's a part number issue?

8. orchid5683

orchid5683

the Bus Speed question is a good one to check, as stated above. Often 100mHz and 133mHz will not play well together even though the sizes match.

Another possible issue, the quality of the Ram. Believe it or not it does matter. Either the more generic, or the more proprietary the motherboard the more picky it is likely to be about the Ram. This means that if the motherboard is from a prebuilt system like a Gateway, Compaq, IBM, or HP then it will need either mid-grade or better Ram, or possibly manufacturer specific Ram (in some cases). If the motherboard is from a homebuilt unit but is not a major name like Soyo, Gigahertz, InWin, or Shuttle then you may also have troubles with lower quality Ram. You usually can't go wrong buying name brand Ram like Crucial or Kingston.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If the sticks are rated different speeds, you should make sure the slowest one is in slot 0(the first slot)

10. mskimberly

this is an older gateway so might try the reslotting trick

11. e-liam

e-liam

Hi mskimberley,

I use W98 v4.10.1998 on a PII 500 with 768mb, so it shouldn't be the amount. :D I have heard of problems with going above 512mb, but you should be fine below that.

Reslotting in descending order, cleaning out the slots as you go, should do it.

Cheers

Liam

12. slipe

slipe

All versions of Win98 support up to a Gig of RAM so that isn’t your problem.

You might run a check on the memory to make sure you didn’t get a bad stick. http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Does the computer run OK if you replace the 128Mb stick that is working with the new 128Mb stick?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice