Too Much RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mskimberly

My PC came with 64 RAM. About a year ago I added 128. I bought another 128 last week and tried to install it. The system recognized the RAM but said there was a problem withe setup. I tried to save the system settings but it did not work. Any suggestions?

MCP

What operating system is the computer using? And, what were the types of RAM installed?

Did you put the larger Ram stick in the first slot ? I know some pcs can give problems if not, that is if you're still using the 64mb with the two larger sticks.

Can you state what motherboard you've got as if its an older model there maybe limitations on what you can put in it.

What brand of motherboard do you have or what brand of computer is it. I had a similar problem with an old Gateway. I had placed 2 128meg sticks of PC100 in and it wouldn't boot at all. I had just placed them in the open slots leaving the original 64 meg stick in place. I removed them all, blew out the slots with some "Air in a Can" & reinstalled them 128, 128, 64 & WAHLAH all was good again.

Which version of Windows 98 do you use. The earlier versions didn't support more than 160 Mb. :/

Check bus speed for the modules.
Not sure about this, but maybe it's a part number issue?

the Bus Speed question is a good one to check, as stated above. Often 100mHz and 133mHz will not play well together even though the sizes match.

Another possible issue, the quality of the Ram. Believe it or not it does matter. Either the more generic, or the more proprietary the motherboard the more picky it is likely to be about the Ram. This means that if the motherboard is from a prebuilt system like a Gateway, Compaq, IBM, or HP then it will need either mid-grade or better Ram, or possibly manufacturer specific Ram (in some cases). If the motherboard is from a homebuilt unit but is not a major name like Soyo, Gigahertz, InWin, or Shuttle then you may also have troubles with lower quality Ram. You usually can't go wrong buying name brand Ram like Crucial or Kingston.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
If the sticks are rated different speeds, you should make sure the slowest one is in slot 0(the first slot)

Hi mskimberley,

I use W98 v4.10.1998 on a PII 500 with 768mb, so it shouldn't be the amount. :D I have heard of problems with going above 512mb, but you should be fine below that.

Reslotting in descending order, cleaning out the slots as you go, should do it.

Cheers

Liam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online