1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Too much slower?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYCaribou, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NYCaribou

NYCaribou Thread Starter

My current motherboard is an ASUS P4V8X-MX. It has the following specs:

VIA P4M800 Chipset
    800/533/400 mhz FSB
    Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4 CPU

I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU socket 478 running at 3 ghz.

I am looking to upgrade to the following:

ASUS P5LD2 R2.0
    Intel 945B Chipset
    Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
    Dual-Core CPU Ready
    1066/800/533 mhz FSB

However, the fastest CPU's I can find available within my price range would be the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

It has a 1066 FSB, Socket LGA 775, a 4M L2 Cache, and is a Dual-Core E6600. However, the running speed is only 2.4 GHz.

Would this be a significant slowdown over my current speed?

CPU's running at 3 ghz of the Core 2 Duo type would be out of my price range, and most of th em are 1333 FSB meaning I'd probably need a more advanced motherboard than what I'm planning to get.

How much slower would the "upgrade" be given the spec comparison?

I don't have any further specs on the type of CPU I currently have, unfortunately I've had it for quite a while and no longer have the papers for it.

Thanks
    NYC

2. ikswovrat

ikswovrat

Wel what do you use your Pc for? If its multitasking in anything then the 2.4ghz will show a performance boost. if its newer games that benefit from multiprocessing then you will get a performance boost but if its older games (Couple of years) then you may see a slight decrease but not that many games... well exept for crysis are that demanding.

3. ikswovrat

ikswovrat

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I think he's concerned about the Conroe's 2.4Ghz speed compared to his P4 3.0 Ghz speed. Mate you don't have to worry. The Core 2 Duo is actually MUCH faster than your old P4 even if it's clock speed is lower. Differences in architecture make the Core 2 Duo perform better with lower clock speeds. As an example think that your P4 can execute one instruction per clock cycle while the Core 2 Duo can execute 4. Now do the math, 3x1=3 and 2.4x4=9.6. Well it's not exactly like that but you get the idea :) Oh, and keep in mind that the Core 2 is a dual core CPU which means ,in simple terms, that you will have 2 CPUs running and sharing the workload of your applications. Go for the upgrade you will see a big difference! :)

5. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Clock speeds have virtually no bearing on the performance of the cpu. The core 2 is a MUCH more efficient chip not to mention the much lower voltage which means less heat which means more efficient and better all round performance. I don't think you'll see a decrease in any form in performance. Go for it. Max.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice